Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Lubed hood latch...Now hood wont close...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubed hood latch...Now hood wont close...

Hello, I did some searching on here before posting and couldn't find what I was looking for. I was out this evening doing some cleaning in the engine compartment and decided to lube the hood latches and catches. Unfortunately when finished the center latch would not catch and the hood will not close. The little plastic handle is sticking out as well.

I remember having a similar problem with a door not closing. The catch was sprung and had to be reset.

I guess I'll go watch some election coverage while waiting for a reply.

P.s. Has anyone ever ordered from IPD? I was thinking about getting some replica R rims from for my 96 Platinum Ed Wagon. I currently have a slightly bent rim and IPD has some clearance at $100 a piece. I think a new stock volvo is nearly 250-300. Why not upgrade to some 17's? Waiting for time to get tires too.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Lubed hood latch...Now hood wont close...

I am not really familiar with the latchmechanism, so I will letsome else answer.
Side note: IPD is a great company to work with. Some of their products are exspensive, but others have great prices.
Their "R" replicas look really good and are pretty well priced. Go for it.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:32 PM

Thanks. I am going to be due for tires soon and thought about upgrading due to my slightly bent rim. I also wanted the silly cone engine bushings to replaced the ones I have that are busted.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link for a bunh of aftermarket and wholesale sites for volvos: https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm
Some good sites are: IPD, EST, VIVA Preformance (have polybushings), but there are more posted there^^^^^^^.

The hood might need to be rest like you said. does it pop back up when you try to shut it?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Yes. It is like it isn't catching. The plastic grab handle stays out when hood is pushed closed. At first I thought maybe I hadn't closed it hard enough. I tried harder and same happened.

I also have tried pushing in on the inside lever at the hinge and it feels like it wants to catch but just will not. Typically I am heavy handed when it comes to things like this but I have decided to see if there is an easy fix before I break it. I am like a neanderthal (sp) when it comes to fragile objects...Ughh..

Why would simply lubing a hinged mechanical piece like this cause a malfunction?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That is weird.
Take the grill off and then look through the hole and see what is happening when you try to close it.
There is an adjustment for that latch as well.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 PM

An the idiot award goes too.........ME!

Yup, I left my ratchet in the hood rail closing so the hood wouldn't seat all the way into the two side catches. Uh hem. It wasn't making any noises out of the ordinary (no metal on metal) and it is dark in my defense.

Thanks for your timely responses on the topic and Thanks for the location of all those cool sites for parts.

And now for another question....

My driver side wiper blade does not want to complete the wipe cycle. Well it makes a full swing but when it comes in front of me almost at full swing, into my field of vision, the blade lifts off the window. It is as if the actual wiper arm is bent because it is the middle of the blade that leaves the window surface and I get this triangular pattern pointing to the right.

It is quite annoying when cleaning my windows and I have this dirt triangle remaining behind. Of course safety is more of an issue when in a heavy downpour, not so bad in a light or moderate rain. Any ideas? Promise no ratchets under the wiper arm.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

This is how I fix it. I remove the wiper arm. The I position it in a Bench vise with a rag over the jaws of the vise. Then lean on the arm slightly to bend the arm so that when it goes back on it touches all the way through the cycle. Be careful how much pressure you put on it though it is only POP Metal. You can usually push on it some ad feel it give.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow, although I don't have a bench vise. I'll try to find something to use as a fulcrum.

You guys are great. I am glad I found this site.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Glad we could help!!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a common issue on the 850s. My solution was to install a half washer (a washer cut in half). This way, the wiper arm is installed at an angle and the wiper blade is pressed firmly onto the windscreen/windshield. However, most people do what Tech has suggested; bend the arm.

I think we all receive the Idiot Award once a while....

JPN

Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Hmm, I guess the 1/2 washer should be positioned at the bottom to angle it more forward or up. I'll see if I can cut one with my dremel. Otherwise I'll be bending.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tech +1,

I had to do the same thing. The dealer wanted way too much and when I asked about bending it back, they said that it would brake almost right away. REALLY? COME ON NOW! SHUT UP!!!

Youmay have a neighbour with a vise and if not then figure a way to secure/clamp thewiper too a benchand use gentle but firm pulls and move it slowly. Test fit and repeat until the wiper is in contact through the full sweep.

Did this for both wipers and was putting Rain Away on the sheild in a half hour.

Just dont HULK it and youll be fine.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best place for honest opinions.