Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Massive Oil Leak after changing filter

Old 12-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Oil Leak after changing filter

Hi, I'm new to Volvos, but this year I decided to get a couple. I've already done an oil/filter change on my v70 months ago.

Today, I went to change the oil/filter on my 96 850. After filling it back up with the 5.6 quarts, I started the engine and had a look underneath. To my horror, the oil was dumping out, seemingly from the filter area.

I'm pretty sure it nearly all dumped out. Because I next removed the new filter, to have no oil drip out, and placed the original one back on in case, for some reason, the new filter (the exact one from Fram, and same one I have on my v70) was somehow not fitting correctly. I then replaced about 5 quarts of oil.

I then started it back up, and the SAME THING HAPPENED!! What the heck is up with this?? I've done many oil filter changes before, and have never once seen anything like this. I used no tools to uninstall/install the filters, it was all by hand.

I don't know anything about the 850, could something somehow have come loose around the oil filter housing from simply having removed (by hand) the old filter and installed a new one?

I haven't taken a good look up in there with a light yet to see if the housing is somehow broken or whatever, and would appreciate any insights as to what could have gone wrong, thanks.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Massive Oil Leak after changing filter

Maybe the old seal between the oil filter and oil pan is stuck to the pan?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Tech nailed it! The only thing (outside of cracking the threaded post that the filter screws on to) to cause a leak like that is to have the gasket from the old filter stuck to the engine block. I had a friend with the same problem and not noticing the massive oil leak, ruined his engine. Take the filter off, remove the stuck gasket, prefill a new filter with about a quart of oil, ensure the gasket on the new filter is seated correctly, install the filter, add the rest of the oil, and fire it up.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2007, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Maybe the old seal between the oil filter and oil pan is stuck to the pan?
same thing happned to me on my old Mustang... It leaked like a ****... I took the filter out only to find out the seal was still on the mounting surface..

Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Yup. This is pretty common, and usually is from not putting a little oil on the seal of the filter prior to installing the new one.