Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need to replace Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Need to replace Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid

Well hopefully all goes well.
Hopefully they will let you return them.
$250.00 isn't bad for a tranny.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FCP came through, can send back no problems.

Volvo wanted 1250 for tranny install, and I to supply my own.

I found a good one with 78k and torque converter, 250 shipped to my mechanics door, and he said 600 to swap them...

So I'm going to do it, save this Volvo from the yard...

Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Wow. FINALLY got some codes after driving around with the new PNP...getting flashing up arrow and cel light, gone after clearing codes, but never had them before (started as soon as I started the car)

Getting A1 - 114 and 213
and A2 - 411

This means
114 - Program selector open circuit or short circuit to supply
213 - Throttle position (TPS) signal too high

411 - TP sensor signal

?? Should I just replace my TPS before replacing the tranny? I mean, if the TPS is shot/being a jerk, it would confuse the tranny/tell it incorrect shifting time/points? Is this correct? Lastly, 114 worries me, 114 in A1 (Transmission).

Best steps to diagnose? Going to research TPS (and this is what the dealer who sold me the car said his volvo guy told him)...

Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM

I would replace the TPS and see what happens. If it is in fact bad you will need to replace it after the tranny swap or you will have CEL on. It is the lesser of the two expenses, I would swap it and see if you get lucky. If the signal is incorrect to the ECU it can cause all kinds of fun problems.

good luck,
Rob

Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM

What about the TCM itself? When I shake it (removed) I geta faint rattle noise... broken solder? Something else?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Well no one told me but I found out by reading the pdf, you can actually run the advanced diagnostics using the OBD1 interface on my 95!!
So I ran some tests individually (S1, S2, and SL) and all sounded fine
However, when I let the car do the 6 reps and 3 cycles of about 10 issues, the S1, S2, and SL, which run first, did not respond correctly, and towards the end of the test, I was getting little puffs of white smoke coming from the car (hood up, looked like low/tranny or possibly head gasket area). Car has not been burning any coolant performs well, oil looks good, etc, I do not believe it is blown head gasket, but related to my tranny issue
I thought I read a thread of some one having tranny issues and getting smoke from it, slipping tranny/torque converter I bet... what should I do/test?

No cel or flashing up arrow.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I would still replace the TPS.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 PM

*edit* Looks like a repost, heh, TPS is on order! =)

When I tested S1, S2, and SL, the seemed to respond okay, when doing the single cycle, individual component tests.
When I ran the 'battery' of 10 components (does 6 tests, 3 cycles), towards the end I was getting little puffs of white smoke from down load (no known or expected head gasket issues), and I was not getting S1 it seemed to respond readily, though I had lost count of which component it was testing, but I wasn't getting responses all theway around like I should have been...
I had to terminate the test as the smoke was getting more constant... probably from the trans. Not good. Car still drives 'fine' (put over 300 miles on it since). I think it's solenoids or TPS.
TPS is on order from FCP Groton.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 PM

TPS replaced. No Change. Was not expecting a miracle here, hopefully this addresses my cold start 'too low' idle. =)

Riddle me this. Put the car in drive, starts in first gear, so I can sit, in drive, with the brake on, like a normal person.

However, DONT YOU DARE touch that winter button, car will stall within SECONDS (last two tries). It's like it's putting it in 4th gear (or 3rd?), it's pretty damn quick to go down. Thoughts? Why would winter mode, which is supposed to tell trans 'hey, start in second' to start in the wrong gear?

Stuff like this makes me worry that replacing the trans isn't the solution here... =(

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 PM

My understanding is that winter mode locks it into 3rd. I drove a 95 that was new (Mom's car) on a trip to Charleston 10 years ago or more and was playing around with the winter mode in the sand at the beach. Guess what, I got the flashing arrow for no reason. Dealer said it was fine to drive like that and to bring it in to replace a switch (had to be PNP) under warranty. I think the electronics on these things were built by Lucas (British joke). They are prone to problems. Did you get that transmission manual I uploaded? Did it help any or complicate things?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM

PNP was replaced by local mechanic, no noticable change, was the first thing I tried... Doesn't mean he aligned it correctly, but still... I found the tranny diagnosis manual (from uk site) that I believe included what you posted, I've kept everything though, so thank you!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Find out if he used the alignment tool. I used one on mine once it finally came in and hopefully I am dead on. Once I get mine all together (stupid balljoint bolt is a bear to knock back in) and verify it works it may be available for loan. After all, it was only $16 from the dealer. Just took a month to get in after they billed my CC.[:@]

Hope we can help you get this thing solved. Keep us posted.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I won't dare touch that Winter button.

JPN

Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Hee, hee! Winter mode baddddddd, unless it is winter and snowy I guess. I just wanted to see what it did. Appearantly is breaks the PNP switch if there is no snow or ice around. Live and learn.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: robrike

Hee, hee! Winter mode baddddddd, unless it is winter and snowy I guess. I just wanted to see what it did. Appearantly is breaks the PNP switch if there is no snow or ice around. Live and learn.
Did you have a problem with the Winter Mode button too? I will probably REMOVE it when I replace the burned out lighted near the shifter...

Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Not really. Mine just got confused with me goofing with it and tripped the flashing arrow. I am not sure it can be removed though without causing problems. I wonder if anyone has ever done that before? Isn't it part of the sport/economy switch?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

I hate to bring back a dead post, but did this ever get worked out and fixed?