Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

new pcv system install problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pcv system install problems

ok..so i've been working on changing out the pcv system w/ the replacement kit i got from FCP Groton. Having a bit of an issue re-installing the new hoses.

First of all, what's the trick to clamping those strance hose clamps? It looks like you're supposed to almost crimp them together but i've tried doing this w/ a couple different pliars and needle noses, and cant get them to budge before the pliars slip off. I picked up some regular hose clamps (screw type) so hoping those will be OK to use instead.

Seconldly, i'm having problems reconnecting the small rubber elbow to the Air Intake Hose (from air mass meter to turbo). The smaller elbow seems like it's too large, even w/ the green spring type clamp it is not tight on the port coming off the intake. I'm referring to #10 on the image below.

Any ideas how to get a tight connection here? I was thinking maybe to put a small thin walled vinyl hose over the port then putting the elbow over that...hopefully that would yeild a tight connection. Other idea was to use a regular hose clamp and just tighten it so much that it forces the rubber elbow to seal and hold tight.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: new pcv system install problems

Remove the elbow and install a peice of hose to replace the elbow.

Also on the other clamps either get the special pliers or use a pair of wire cutters,

Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Didn't think of using wire cutters... i ended up walking to a Lowe's and picking up a bunch of the normal hose clamps (thankfully it's only 3/4 of a mile away)... put these in place of the other ones.hopwfully these will be sufficient since i don't want to take that manifold off for quite some time. By the way...are there any good tricks for securing bolts that you have to thread in manually while using an extension (such as the intake manifold bolt that is on the lower RH side)? i can't tell you how many times i had to take the manifold off...yet again.... after dropping misc things...bolts, injectors, etc...

Anywhoo...i got most of it put back together. I just got back from the first trip after re-assembling everthing... i thought this was gonna be a 4-6 hour job...tops... 16+ hours later i'm kinda done.

I'm actually just happy that she started at all. One of my EGR Valve bolts is MIA, and i've got an extra 8mm bolt. So after about running the engine by doing city driving for about 15-20 minutes, it was still running and seemed normal. However, when i got home i hopened the hood, and can see quite a bit of smoke coming from the LH side of the engine compartment.

Any idea what this could be from?

i spilled quite a bit of coolant...but the smoke didn't smell sweet like i'd expect coolant to smell. put about an entire can of carb cleaner into the intake manifold...did my best to wipe it out and air dry it before re-installing. Is some smoke normal or should I be concerned about this?

Also, am I risking anything major by only having 1 bolt of the EGR valve installed? Is it safe for me to make a couple 10-15 trips in the current condition or should i start looking for a ride tomorrow morning?

Thanks!

Edit: What are the special tools called for those wierd hose clamps? What's the best way of getting the old ones off? I ended up just putting a flathead screwdriver in them and breaking them apart. Not clean by any means...but effective

Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I use a small screwdriver and pull up where they are secured together at the holes and tabs. Then lift the outer part up and it will release.

I used to use the wire cutters every day for 4 1/2 years before buying the pliers for it.

I know them as squeeze clamp pliers. Some know them as C/V boot clamp pliers.

The smoke might be from excess cleaner and oil burning off.

Was the new bottom Vent box seal all rubber or did it have a metal sleeve?

Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Was the new bottom Vent box seal all rubber or did it have a metal sleeve?
There was one piece i didn't install... may have been the bottom vent box seal. It was the lowest one on the block...it was a short maybe 1" piece attached directly to the oil separator. Attached with (2) #20 Torx hose clamps. I wasn't able to work the old one loose, so didn't install the new one. The old one looked pretty clean, and i wiped most the buildup off the inside.

The old piece looked to be different than the one in the kit from Groton.. The new one had a metal sleeve/rubber combination. Metal on the outside diameter...rubber on the Inside. Hopefully leaving the old one in there will be ok for a while...b/c i'm really not looking forward to taking it apart again...but after 2 times within 2 days, it's gettin easier

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Administrator

The Metal ones are better but I asked to make sure you tightened the clamps.