Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Default No signal from obd II port

Excuse me if I'm hitting some idiot notes here, since I've only owned my 1996 non-turbo 850 wagon for four days. Yesterday, wouldn't you know it, the check engine light came on. I plugged in an Actron CP9125 code scanner to check what might be wrong. I'm getting absolutely nothing on the scanner — it doesn't seem to be turning itself on, though it works fine on my 2000 Saturn. Later I'll try to pop the plug-in on the console obd port and check for loose wires. But I'm wondering if this is a familiar and maybe easily resolved problem. Advice?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM
1997 Volvo 850
My Garage

I could be incorrect, but I *think* the 96 had an ODB-I and they started using ODB-II in the '97. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Administrator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to rspi

He said it has the port so it should work. Maybe it is dirty. I would stop by AutoZone or somewhere and have someone else test it.
Volvo Repair Videos - Used Parts For Sale - Interior Lights For Sale - ABS Light? Click Here - Men's Mentoring
--------------------------------------------
Volvo's of time past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow, '95 960, ,96 850 R...
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 PM

Check the fuse for the OBD II port. My pick-up had same problem. The OBD II port was powered on the cigarette lighter fuse and when the lighter socket rusted out the fuse would blow when the lighter was pushed in (don't use lighter anymore).
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Default it's the fuse, sort of

Fuse was the right answer to part of this problem. Turns out that the fuse was blown. I put a new one in, got an instant snap, crackle and pop, and then that one was dead, too. The scan port is on the same circuit as:
Audio System, Courtesy Lights, Door Open Light, Trunk Light,
Glove Box Light, Remote Control Central Locking System,
Oil Level Sensor, Seat Belt Reminder.

My thinking at the moment is that the previous owner installed a new radio and maybe did some funny business with the wiring. But if this is one of those common problems that every old hand knows about, please let me know.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Was the previous owner a smoker?

If so, cig lighter socket may be shorted out; disconnect the socket and see if your short goes away.

1998 S70 GLT, 70K mls, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways.
1996 855T, 120K mls,
N/A cams, N/A intake manifold & TB, ARD green w/M4.4, OBX improved, white injectors, 18T, R ExMan, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways, AEM boost and AFR gauges. Fun DD!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Tags
1997, 850, 97, fuse, gps, ii, inspection, no, obd, obd2, obdii, pennsylvania, port, signal, volvo