Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

OBD1 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: OBD1 Codes

ORIGINAL: JPN

>No, I would visit this forum probably 10 times daily.
That isincurable illness called volvoforums.com addiction and many of us are affected[X(].

Thanks for the tips.

JPN
AGREED I spend half the day or more here everyday.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sneak time out from my work 10 times a day to visit this place...... very much EDICTED!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the symptoms of Volvo Addict Syndrome:

- Heavy dose of forum visits.
- Turning head every time a Volvo passes by.
- Making sure that the CEL/ABS are extinguished on a Volvo that passes by.
- Quick response when seeing/hearing 3-letter codes; FCP, IPD, T5R, ABS, ECU, EEC, CEL, OBD, PCV, ETC...
- A concern as to someone elses timing belt.
- Confidence in telling 850 owners that an emulsified appearance on the oil dipstick is normal.
- Unstoppable desire to talk tothe driver of a Yellow T5-R or any T5-R/R in rare colour.
- Undeniable desire to get whatever off of a junked 850, especially the body trim parts/anything that is intact.

JPN

Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM

-Searching Ebay in other countries for T5r parts, knowing full well you can't get them freighted!!
-Teaching your girlfriend everything Volvo.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 AM

Looks like I got to see the corrections department.

Inotice all these symptoms in me...[&:]

Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: JPN

Some of the symptoms of Volvo Addict Syndrome:

- Heavy dose of forum visits.
- Turning head every time a Volvo passes by.
- Making sure that the CEL/ABS are extinguished on a Volvo that passes by.
- Quick response when seeing/hearing 3-letter codes; FCP, IPD, T5R, ABS, ECU, EEC, CEL, OBD, PCV, ETC...
- A concern as to someone elses timing belt.
- Confidence in telling 850 owners that an emulsified appearance on the oil dipstick is normal.
- Unstoppable desire to talk tothe driver of a Yellow T5-R or any T5-R/R in rare colour.
- Undeniable desire to get whatever off of a junked 850, especially the body trim parts/anything that is intact.

JPN
Im on that list!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 AM

Are the pictures of this repair still available? Nobody parting out the car in my area seems to have this sensor. At $424 plus tax from the dealer, having a go at soldering seems like a plan.

Can the car be driven without the sensor in place? Would it have the same effect as driving with an inactive one or is the vacuum going to be screwed up?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by arzy
Just a hint to avoid breaking the housing of the sensor. Put the sensor in a vice, hold it there securely but do not over tighten the vice or else you will break the housing. Use a pair of pliers and hold the part where the plug goes into and pull it up. This will pop the housing open and avoid breaking the housing as seen in the above pics.
Sadly this didn't work. I had to split the housing intentionally since it was a bloody tight fit! Bit of heat on the plastic will hopefully put the splices back together. The circuit board stayed inside the housing so not sure what the solder looked like while attached. Grey and dull though.

Off to my buddy's to have him solder it. Piece it back together shortly and hopefully I will have a sensor that stops throwing codes!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Although mine might have been a very tight fit, I struggled pulling the cap out of the housing like the Ozbrick write-up says. Since the housing is soft plastic, I ended up using a knife to split the housing at the seams. Made it easier to pop cap off. Unless you can pull it straight out, you will break the solder from the cap to the circuit board. The cirsuit board remains in the housing. Hard to tell if the solder is bad visually if you break it before you can inspect. The plastic on the housing is fairly soft so it can be cut cleanly in minutes. A plastic attachment on the soldering iron put it all back together. You can definately tell its been apart but visually, who cares?

My buddy soldered it back together, plastic welded the seams. Since I only had some leftover builders silicone (white)at home, I liberally smeared it across the top to once again seal it up. Liberal wasn't my choice sadly as it came out faster than anticipated. No longer a pretty sensor but a drive to the store and back with no ABS/TRACS lights on leaves me happy. Would have been about $500nzd new so this was a pretty easy fix. Time will tell if the solder was the problem but seems to be the culprit yet again!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Default Passenger compartment temp sensors...

The part numbers for the 850's passenger compartment temp sensors are :
Driver's side (LH) - p/n 9134821 and Passenger side (RH) - p/n 9134822 . The orientation of the plug is different on each side. The stealership wants $130 for each ! OUCH ! I found them special order from http://www.eEuroparts.com for $81 (as of 4/6/10). I removed the passenger side sensor and replaced it with a new one. After playing around with the old one I was able to clean and free the fan and get it working again, so I'll just keep it as a spare. Remember to unbolt and drop the sun visor on the side you are working on, this will free up enough of the head liner to give you space to unscrew the sensor's two mounting screws (T-20 Torx bits...). If you don't want to spend the money on new units try taking the old ones out and disassembling and cleaning the fan. Blow out behind the fan with that PC compressed air in a can. A lot of lint and crap gets stuck behind the actual fan impeller and you can't clean it out without removing the unit. Test the fan operation by applying 12v to the red and black wires you see in the pics. I used a battery charger and multi-meter leads to apply voltage. Red is positive, black is negative... Before cleaning you will probably find the fan does not turn when voltage is applied. After cleaning you should see the fan spin normal.
Good luck.
The Driver's side sensor sets off the 4-1-4 code and the Passenger side sets off the 4-1-7 code.

- Mike

Here's some pics of the passenger side temp sensor unit:

Name:  VolvoCabinTempSensor4Web.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  VolvoTempSensor024web.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  78.3 KB

Last edited by Hamfisted; 04-23-2010 at 11:39 AM.