Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

power steering leak,and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak,and oil leak

I bought a 96 Volvo 850 turbo platinum sedan about a year ago.
This a list of all the work ive done with all your help;
Oil pan o rings, pcv system, struts, shocks, oxygen sensor, thermostat, distributor cap, spark plugs, wires, but my last problem is a power steering leak from the power steering pump and oil leak that i cant seem to locate. Thru some research, i believe the leak is comming from the front main seal due to the pcv problem. What do you guys think, if so how hard to do, does anyone have in istructions and pics.
Thanks Rob.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Platinum also had a minor rack leak when I got it. I normally don't believe in any "miracle in a can" products but I bought a quart of Valvoline Maxlife Transmission Stop Leak. I sucked the old stuff out with a turkey baster and refilled, ran it lock to lock a few times, and repeated the process. I think in all I went through the procedure about 4 times until the fluid looked fresh.

To my amazement it worked and the rack hasn't leaked a drop since.

The rear main seal is normally more of a problem with high PCV pressure than is the front seal since it really only seals the oil pump. I got tricked on one of NA cars thinking it was the front seal and it turned out to be the o ring on the block off plate for the oil cooler lines. On your turbo it might be either there (the oil cooler lines) or a leak on the sump pan. Changing the seal is like changing the timing belt except that you need to remove the crank pulley to get to the oil pump. You will need a new oil pump gasket and O rings as well.

...Lee