Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Radio won't come on Anti-theft issue?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio won't come on Anti-theft issue?

Hi all,
I have a 96 GLT wagon that had a battery and battery drain issue that I think I have resolved. One of the biggest problems that I have remaining is that the factory radio won't work. It is the Premium sound system and looks to be intact and in good shape but the only thing I can get it to do is when I hit the power button the display comes on and says "OFF". Car has the sticker in the rear window regarding the radios anti-theft feature so I am suspecting that this might have been triggered somehow during the many battery replacement and charging issues. Bought the Chilton manual and all it says is not to take out the radio if the code is not available. Doesn't even tell how to reprogram the code or input it even if you had it. I have to believe there must be a way to either do a hard reset to wipe and reset the theft code or some way to retrieve it so it can be re-entered. Called the dealer but couldn't find the proper person to talk to while I was on the phone. Anyone here ever had to do this or know anything about it? Thanks David.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Radio won't come on Anti-theft issue?

When it says off it is a bigger hassle than when it says code. First you need to find out what your code is. There are a couple of ways to do that. Most of the time there is a credit card sized card in the owners manual package that says Volvo Audio Systems and it has a 4 digit code written down on it. If you can find that card you are halfway home. If you cannot find that card you need to write down your VIN number and also the numbers, all of them, that appear on the top of the radio. Then you can try to call your local Volvo dealer and talk to the parts department. Some dealers will give you the information over the phone - particularly if you have a previous relationship with them -others will insist that you appear in person with proof of ownership. Normally the VIN will get you the proper code but there are a lot of swapped out radios that no longer follow the VIN - That is where the radio numbers come in handy as they can find the code by those numbers as well.

To remove the radio to read its numbers you need to take the key and press the rectangular slots next to the Bass fader and the #6 preset button. The rectangles will magically pop out and create grab handles to pull the radio out of the dash.

In either case (phone call or in person) they should be able to give you the 4 digit code to unlock the radio. They should not charge for it, I believe Volvo prohibits such practices by their dealers and since Rick Hendrick's Superior Volvo($38.00 for a expansion tank cap[:@]) didn't charge me forthe code I'm sure they can't.

Once you get the proper code number you need to turn the radio off and leave the key in position I for at least 2 hours. After that you should be able to turn the radio back on and it should prompt you with Code rather than Off. When you get the Code prompt key in your code with the station preset buttons and it will come back to life. You get three tries to get the code properly entered before it locks out and goes back to off and the whole 2 hour thing starts over.

...Lee

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Radio won't come on Anti-theft issue?

Wow...I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 03-16-2022, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts