Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Is it safe to drive with the check engine light on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to drive with the check engine light on?

My check engine light came on this morning. Neither of the local mechanics who work on Volvos in my area can check the car for at least a week. I will be going out of town (about a 4 hour drive round trip) this weekend. I'm wondering if it's safe to continue driving the car with the check engine light on? I haven't noticed any strange noises or abnormalities when driving it. I am having an issue with my blower motor (it works sometimes, it sometimes doesn't), but other than that, the car seems to be fine. It is a '95 turbo with 98K mikes on it. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Being that it is a 95 it probably / should be OBD1. You can check the codes on that yourself. Very easy.

I would love to find a link for you to show you how... but my work computer is slow... and my lunch time is ticking away.

Check out Bay 13 on Volvospeed. I'm Sure there is a write up there... or just google it.

(also if its driving fine.. i wouldnt worry)

One of my old 850s drove me home from vermont on 4 cyl's once....

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Most likely a misfire but you need to find out.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's a 95, it shoud be OBDII. My '94 turbo wagon is OBDII. Take it to auto zone and have them scan the codes and see what you find. Some things you can drive on for a while without hurting anything, and some require more immediate attention.

A gas cap that isnt tightened all the way can trip a CEL code...just saying.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

We are all guessing, should be fun to see what it is.

Autozone will scan the code and hand you a piece of paper with the code. They wont offer any advice or reset the code. Your on your own there.

My 95 has both, jumps and OBDII

Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Boxpin: the auto zones here and advance auto parts here will give you the code, reset them, and tell you what the codes actually are. They must just screw you in Cali.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ibified
if it's a 95, it shoud be OBDII.
I'll got tell my T5-R that its supposed to be obdII after i get home tonight...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Regine: that's just strange. Why would my 94 be an OBDII while your car, which is a step up from mine and a year newer, not be OBDII? Goofy stuff...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My T-5R is both, OBD-I & OBD-II. When I first learned about the T-5R's, I was disappointed to learn that OBD-II became manditory in '96. Then I learned that most Volvo's had it in '94 and just about all had it in '95. I was excited. Don't really care for the morris codes of OBD-I.

Beckmjea; Some people drive around with the CEL on so long, the bulb burns out. Also, some people have NEVER seen how the dash looks with the light out. That being said, most people drive with the light on when it's a O2 sensor bad. If you don't have a code reader, go by auto zone or which ever parts place you normally drive by, ask them to pull the code for you, and if it is not something serious, keep driving. 90% Of the time, I check my code, reset it, and do absolutly nothing about it, and it doesn't even come back on. If the car hick-ups just right, it will blow a cel. In a rare situation, you can over heat the motor and destroy it, other than that, if it drives good, you will likely be fine. The car doesn't know if you drive it 30 minutes or 5 hours. Damage can be done in either situation. Last option, call your mechanic back and ask them if they can at least check the code for you if you swing by there for a minute. If they won't do that, I would probably find another mechanic.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Poll this thread...

Originally Posted by boxpin

Autozone will scan the code and hand you a piece of paper with the code. They wont offer any advice or reset the code. Your on your own there.

My guess is O2 Sensor. My second guess is vac line.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Boxpin: the auto zones here and advance auto parts here will give you the code, reset them, and tell you what the codes actually are. They must just screw you in Cali.

I am thinking so.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

I am throwing a backup guess of O2 sensor. I am second guessing my first guess now.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Regine: that's just strange. Why would my 94 be an OBDII while your car, which is a step up from mine and a year newer, not be OBDII? Goofy stuff...

Actually we were both right...

It looks like volvo started to switch over in 94, but wasnt fully switched until they were lawfully required to be in 96...

Also. I read my 2nd post again this morning, and realized it sounded pretty dickish... No harm ment by that... =)

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will take it to Auto Zone today or tomorrow and see what they find.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin

down here in ca where i live they wont scan anything for you, i've called every single auto store and every autozone in the area and they said its "against the law" to scan it for you..

so you all are lucky haha

Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM

I took my car to Auto Zone this morning and the scan showed that it's something to do with the emissions system. The guy told me that it wasn't anything that needed to be addressed urgently, but that I should have a mechanic check it when my car is in for something else. Thanks again - I had no idea that Auto Zone offered this service.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by xxblindxx
down here in ca where i live they wont scan anything for you, i've called every single auto store and every autozone in the area and they said its "against the law" to scan it for you..

so you all are lucky haha

Thats because everything short of breathing and taking a crap is illegal in CA. I believe they are working on this though. Soon these 2 items will join the list.

We're from the government, and we're here to help.

=)

(try buying a gun in CA, If you can find one that is mildly interesting even)

Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Regime: it didnt come across as dickish to me. It made me laugh a little bit, actually, which I appreciate right now. Laughs have been few and far between this week.

betting that the emissions code has something to do with the EGR being clogged. if it's is anything like mine was, be sure to have a cordless drill and a bit on hand to get the tube back open. thats all that worked on mine.