Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Synthetic Oil Vs Normal Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Vs Normal Oil?

Supp people, i m new to this forum lolol. Which would u recoment for a 1995 850 GLT with an NA enigne, synthetic or normal. I drive the car really hard i probebly red lineit alot, and race it alot also mostly every day. some people told me if i switch to synthetic oil, i cant go back to normal oil. WHich one would u recomend for performance that wont harm the car?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Vs Normal Oil?

You shouldn't be keeping your car at redline no matter which oil you use. It also doesn't help you go faster I forget how the power curve is for these engines but the power band is not at redline.

If you switch to syn be prepared for some leaks as engine gunk gets cleaned out.

Why are you racing an NA engine?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. Viraaj,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

Mr. info2x is absolutely right, you shouldn't be red-lining so often. For NA engines, you wouldn't need full-synthetic oils, they are more suitable for high-performance engines (turbocharged, etc...). The max horse power and max torque reach at slightly different RPMs, but for passenger cars they are usually around 4,000-5,500 RPM range. There is nothing good about red-lining an engine (accelerated wear, fuel waste, etc...).

If you plan to continue making the engine work hard, synthetic blend may help a bit. But as Mr. info2x has noted, expect a small leak as synthetic oils have tendency to leak from tiny passages.

For North American climate, I would recommend name-brand 10W-30 oil, though many shops use 5W-30. There might not be much difference, but oil warms up after a few minutes of idling after starting, and the viscosity comes down accordingly. Anyway, use whatever the oil you feel most comfortable with, just make sure to choose name brand (Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc...).

Cheers,

JPN

Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Well it is an NA engine, but ut has an after market turbo givving in 300hp.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would use Synthetic oil.

But thats just me.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 PM

synthetic does not sledge up

Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 AM

Interested... Let's see some pictures...

ORIGINAL: Viraaj

Well it is an NA engine, but ut has an after market turbo givving in 300hp.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Im going to place some pics on my myspace in a few days, ill send u guys the URL. Duno, im still havin second thought cause alot of people told me that synthetic oil is a bit thinner so it will find its way through gaps and will start to leak. wont this ruin the performace of the car because the oil preassure will drop??

Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland.

The following URL's may clear your concerns:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=19
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6030793
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ynthetics.aspx

According to the above MFG's, synthetic oil is fully compatible with conventional oil. When you change oil, fully drain & use a new filter, this would let you use any oil (well, probably not cooking oil).

Synthetic oil seems to be most suitable for high-pressure + high-temp applications. I work on turbine-powered (jet engine) airplanes and the oil used for those engines are full synthetic. "thinner" may not be the word for synthetic, "slippery" is more accurate. But synthetic oil seems to stay on metal surface quite well, as I have difficulty wiping off my can opener after opening a can of jet oil. Oil pressure shouldn't drop with synthetic, but if you are worried try more viscous grade oil (10W-40?).

850's have leak-favorite spots (oil cooler line, filler cap, etc...). If you find leak, you might want to fix the leak or switch back to conventional oil.

I would use synthetic oil too, if your car has added turbo and puts out 300hp. But if you plan to keep your car longer, I wouldn't make it work so hard, even with synthetic oil.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Has everything you want to know about motor oil...
A LOT of info.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Viraaj

Im going to place some pics on my myspace in a few days, ill send u guys the URL. Duno, im still havin second thought cause alot of people told me that synthetic oil is a bit thinner so it will find its way through gaps and will start to leak. wont this ruin the performace of the car because the oil preassure will drop??
Synthetic will clean out your system because it is much cleaner. You are correct about the leaks BUT synthetic does not cause leaks, it merely allows know about leaks which are already there (the buildup).