Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing belt change question

Old 05-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Timing belt change question

Hi all,

Work continues on the 95 850 turbo that will be my 16 yr olds car. So far we have cleaned the engine, flushed the transmission fluid, flushed the power steering fluid, changed the oil, cleaned and tightened all the hoses and piping for the intercooler system, and changed the burnt out light bulbs in about five dashboard switches (By the way, if anyone knows how to change the bulb on the circuit board for the "info" switch, PLEASE let me know)

The next big thing is the odometer gear fix and the timing belt. As for the timing belt, here is the big question I have. I plan to replace the tensioner and all the pulleys when I change the belt, I have really good instructions for changing the timing belt found here http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php

In it, it says the hydraulic tensioner must be compressed. It also says to use a 7 inch vise. Well.....I have a 5 inch vice, and don't fancy going out and buying a new one for this job. Is there another way to compress this thing. If so, please let me know. As I said, I really don't want to buy a new vice for thsi job, especially after sinking the money into the boys first car and helping him get it up to its full potential.

As always, thanks for any help,

Glenn

Old 05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Timing belt change question

I don't have that big of a vice and it opened far enough to compress the hydraulic tensioner. You have to do it real slow. I really don't see any other way to do it. If you buy a new tensioner they come already closed with the pin in them to keep them closed, then you pull the pin after installation.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you lock the Tensioner in the Vise sideways and use a Big C-clamp that might work as well.(I have never tried that way) And that is if you can't get it to fit into yours.You might also be able to remove the Jaws in yours to give you a little more room.
Or if you have access to a Hydrolic press you can use that as well.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys, those are great ideas. Jim, I'm glad to know that the new tensioner comes with the pin already installed.

Tech - Geez, a C-clamp why didn't I think of that idea? I have a lot of large C-clamps lying around that should work just fine. I guess I'm getting old, or just plain not thinking.

Well, I will be ordering the parts for the timing belt change today. Since the previous owner is not sure when the belt was changed last, I'm doing the belt, all rollers, and tensioner too, toss in a water pump, and all hoses and I should be good.

WHile I am waiting for the timnig parts to arrive, we are going to fix the odometer gears as they arrived yesterday.

Thanks again,

Glenn

Old 05-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Be sure not to forget a Thermostat.

Also do you have Air tools?

If you do I will add a few things to the Replacement precidure for you to make it a little easier.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's two ways that I know of to replace the bulb on the INFO switch. The elegant way is to de-solder the connections on the circuit board to get to the bulb. The other is to get a dremel tool or similar and literally cut a notch in the circuit board to free the bulb. That was what I did. Worked fine...

Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Tech,

Yep, got the thermostat too (87C)

Rp850 - Well, I don't know about elegant, but the dremel tool idea sounds a lot easier. I'll give it a shot. Can I use the same type bulb I used in the other switches, or is it different. The original bulb looks smaller.

Glenn

Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Tech,

Forgot to add, yep, I have some air tools at my disposal. I'd welcome any tips/suggestions

Glenn

Old 05-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Remove the Crank pulley nut 1 1/4 socket or I think it is like 34mm. Then remove the 4 10mm nuts. Using either a Dead blow rubber hammer or something like that Wack the pulley pretty good to loosen it and remove it.
That will make it alot easier to remove and install the belt.
Remove the top tensioner bolt with a wrench first then get the bottom one with a 12mm socket and a really long extension.

Bolt the Tensioner back in before installing the belt it will be easier doing it that way.

Make sure you turn the engine over twice by hand with the Ratchet to make sure the marks line up again before starting.

That should be about it.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I recall, I think the same bulb will work. It's just the holder that is a different size.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks again to all for the answers

As usual, I have another question. Does anyone have a link to where I can find torque specs?. I don't have a shop manual yet, but since I am going to be doing a timing belt and serpentine belt change among other things, I'm going to need torque specs for the water pump, all the tensioner and idler bolts (timing as well as serpentine) and who knows what else. Again, the car I will be working on is a 1995 850 Turbo

If anyone has the info, thanks in advance.

Glenn

Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Sorry I don't look up the specs for those things. I just know when they are good.

For a Headgasket that is a different story.