Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing belt kit on FCP? Is this a good one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt kit on FCP? Is this a good one?

OK well I have decided my 850 with 144,400 miles on it might make it another year or so with the transmission. Previously I was having big issues with it, and didn't want to put any more money into the car, so I was going to drive it until either the transmission crapped out or the engine blew due to a broken timing belt.

I have decided to go ahead with the timing belt/140k service however I would like to do it on my own, I feel pretty confident doing it seeing as there is a huge amount of info out there on this forum and volvospeed's walk thru. I haven't however ever done a timing belt before, but I had never changed the air filter on a car before, or changed spark plugs, or changed a receiver dryer, or replaced brakes, (you can see where this is going). I've gotten myself into bigger and badder repairs so I feel OK doing it.

I'm looking at this one from FCP $190:
FCP Groton Kit $190

However apparently IPD is a big Volvo online store and they have one that is quite a bit more.
IPD Kit $320 same components?

Also thoughts on getting the "cam locking tool" for $25?

Would the one from FCP suffice? Everything I need to replace for the 140k mile check as far as the timing compoents go?

Thanks guys
-matt

Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Default RE: Timing belt kit on FCP? Is this a good one?

Also should I replace the water pump as well? It shows no signs of leakage. I'm just worried about it seizing up and breaking the belt as well.

They range in price from FCP from the $41 el cheapo to $125 for genuine Volvo (although it seems the $75 is also Volvo OEM...now I am confused), I'm thinking about the Hepu $55 special or $75 OEM if it's needed. Thoughts? I've read they normally last around 200k miles.

Like I said though I'm trying to minimize expenditures into this car because the transmission may go at any moment. Although it could last (and I pray!) for many years.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi there,
I would not replace itin your case because if the pump looks really dry and leak free then even if they start leaking, its not going to be a big leak or I have atleast not heard of water pump ceasing on these machines. Agian, this si just my opinion on your scenerio. BTW, just curious, where is the week link in your transmission that makes you feel uncertain about its life?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FCP Groton kit is fine but be very careful with the tensioner roller. On the last one I got from FCP (INA Brand) the shoulder on the mounting bolt was about 0.010 to short and the tensioner bound up to the front of the block when it was torqued down. I notified Nick about the problem over a year ago but I continue to read about the same problem on other forums. I used the old bolt and it more or less worked fine but the belt wanted to track on the edge of the pulleys and idlers rather than in the center like it did with the old one.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Ozark thanks for the heads up. I can buy the AISAN brand (I believe) from my local volvo shop for $98, maybe I should do that.

Here are some pictures, did I line everything up OK? I *think* I see the notch in the crankshaft, however it seems very very subtle...but the other marks on the top of the engine line up OK.

These seem slightly off but correct me if I am wrong but they are secondary, the crankshaft is #1 most important right?

In regards to the transmission, when slowing down from around 50 mph or so it now "clunks" into and out of 3rd gear. It used to go from 3rd to neutral, then when I stop I'd hit the gas and the revs would increase, then the car would jump as it went into 1st gear (it was slipping like a bad clutch). That has pretty much stopped but it still makes a mildly bad sounding clunk going into and out of 3rd gear so I'm trying to drive it less and less. I believe it might be a solenoid as others have told me, I'm talking to several local transmission shops around here to see what they know.

Thanks!
-matt

Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wheelsup

Also should I replace the water pump as well? It shows no signs of leakage. Im just worried about it seizing up and breaking the belt as well.

Absolutly.

Please believe me when I say that you Dont want the water pump to fail for any reason. Particularly since youre going to do everything else anyways. How much is a {new to you} engine worth? What are you willing to pay?

I was unfortunate enoughto hear a slight squeeling fromunder the hood last November the sixteenth and stopped by the shop to ask what this noise might be.

I was familiar enough with bearing squeels as when Ihad my 1994Acura Vigor GS I had to replace both front wheel bearings. Easy noise to pick out. And with The Anvil it was the blower motor bearing that went as there was a bad seal between the wind shield and the cowling/cover that is supposed to fit tight against it.It was letting water pour from the wind shield directly onto/into the air intake/cabin filterfor the blower and then into the front passenger foot well.

Anyway, the squeel that I heard was thewater pump bearing and, if I/they had known when I was at there at theshop that that was the problem, I would have left the car there. Instead, I made an appointment for the following Monday.

On the seventeenth, right after I got back to town from birthday brunch with Mom (her Bday)the squeel became scarry loud and then there was nothing, all dash lights litand no power.

Head was too damaged to repair, valves bent every which way - and loose -and every piston had four valve marks fromlittle knicks to serious gouges.

I had to replace an engine over the Christmas break and this was not a very Holiday type experience [:@].

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

P.S.

You may want to not use the apostrophe any moore as it multiplies with every post.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The FCP kit should be fine. Do the water pump at the same time.

Yes those marks are lined up correctly.

Hepu water pumps are good we use them all the time.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Buy from them off Ebay. Should be same kit, but they give like 10% off.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 PM

On the seventeenth, right after I got back to town from birthday brunch with Mom (her Bday)the squeel became scarry loud and then there was nothing, all dash lights litand no power.

Head was too damaged to repair, valves bent every which way - and loose -and every piston had four valve marks fromlittle knicks to serious gouges.

I had to replace an engine over the Christmas break and this was not a very Holiday type experience [:@].
WOW!! What a story. How many miles on the car at that time? I suppose I will spend the $55 and replace it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

The FCP kit should be fine. Do the water pump at the same time.

Yes those marks are lined up correctly.

Hepu water pumps are good we use them all the time.
Thanks tech!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Let us all know how the job goes for you.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

Buy from them off Ebay. Should be same kit, but they give like 10% off.
About 15 minutes ago I was doing a search on Google for "volvo 850 timing belt kit" and found it! I'm glad I didn't order them yet. I'm going to call them and ask if they can throw in a water pump as well. It looks like it's $170 vs. $189 AND you get free shipping, so ordering off ebay will save around $30. Hopefully they can tack on the water pump to that order, and I think maybe a white plastic bushing for the tensioner, then I'll be all set.

Thanks for all the help!

-matt

Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 AM

At the time there was 308,045klm on the clock and was due for a belt change. Now 318,456klm.

I was willing to have the work done as I was unfamilair with the car at that time.

As the old southern preacher would say - HEED THE WORD!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 AM

I think that Tech has a suit in the closet, like Supermans, but his has the Volvo Iron symbol on it.

He has honest knowledge and is willing to share. Sort of like Superman saving the day.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Nota story that you want to live through. Beleedat

A little over four thousand dollars and two monthslater and The Anvil was back on the road.

It sounds like a long time but it was the holidays and twice the shop was sent a (wrong[:@]) ten valve engine from the mid west so time back and forth was a real P.I.T.A..
Im thinking a little too much Christmas Cheer. [sm=drooldude.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]