Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Which tool is the right one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tool is the right one?

I am in the unique situation of having three Volvos, all of which need timing belts.

1997 Volvo 960 with AT

1994 Volvo 850 AT and Turbo

1996 Volvo 850 non-turbo and MT

I know that timing belt replacement procedures on the 960 are slightly different than the 850s. In looking at timing belt tools, I notice that IPD sells timing belt tensioner tools for 1995 and later 850. What is different about the 1994 and earlier 850?

Suggestions on sources?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Personally I am not aware that you'd need a timing belt tensioner tool. I looked on ipd, but I didn't see anything.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The tool needed is the serpentine belt tool. For the '95, the serpentine belt tensioner has a 5/8 inch box bolt hole and about 1 inch of clearance. The IPD tool is a flat blade with a 5/8 box on the end. Some people have made their own with plumbing parts or have a 5/8 drive breaker bar.

For the timing belt tensioner - its recommended to replace that part and go new so you only have to pull out the retaining pin. To remove you remove one of the two bolts then swing the tensioner to relieve the pressure without compressing the spring and inserting a pin.

I believe the accessory belt tensioner is the same for the 94-97 850 models but a visual inspection can confirm. I think the 850s are the odd beast here. My S40 uses a more typical star bolt, something that can be worked with a generic serpentine belt tool from Sears or Harbor Freight.

Last edited by mt6127; 10-20-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=strelnik;439302]I am in the unique situation of having three Volvos, all of which need timing belts.

1997 Volvo 960 with AT

1994 Volvo 850 AT and Turbo

1996 Volvo 850 non-turbo and MT

I know that timing belt replacement procedures on the 960 are slightly different than the 850s. In looking at timing belt tools, I notice that IPD sells timing belt tensioner tools for 1995 and later 850. What is different about the 1994 and earlier 850?

Suggestions on sources?

Thanks[/QUOTE

I've done a timing belt and water pump on my 96 850. All the 850s are the same there. Only special tool is that serpentine belt tool. I just went over to iPd and got it make getting that belt on and off easy.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Default Thanks for info to date; more questions

Thanks for the info, which applies to two out of the three cars (1996,1997).

Two other questions:

1. What about the '94 850? Can anyone tell me if my 1994 Volvo needs a different serpentine belt tool?

2. I have seen a camshaft locking device that looks like four machined rods on a piece of boiler plate. If the timing gears are in the proper spots, this fixture locks them so they can't move while the timing belt is installed.

Does anyone know about this tool? Sources? I don't want a one-size-fits-all tool that really doesn't work.

Sorry to be a pest but I have three timing belts, two serpentine belts and two water pumps to change! If the right tool makes it easier or prevents mistakes, it's a small investment that's worth it.

Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by strelnik
Thanks for the info, which applies to two out of the three cars (1996,1997).

Two other questions:

1. What about the '94 850? Can anyone tell me if my 1994 Volvo needs a different serpentine belt tool?

2. I have seen a camshaft locking device that looks like four machined rods on a piece of boiler plate. If the timing gears are in the proper spots, this fixture locks them so they can't move while the timing belt is installed.

Does anyone know about this tool? Sources? I don't want a one-size-fits-all tool that really doesn't work.

Sorry to be a pest but I have three timing belts, two serpentine belts and two water pumps to change! If the right tool makes it easier or prevents mistakes, it's a small investment that's worth it.

Thanks again!
The serp belt tool will be the same on the 94. Just take note of the belt when so when you go to reroute it. Thinking about it seems like the belt route may have changed. Are you replacing the serp or just reusing? If you reuse then just have in go on like it came off. If it's a new belt it may have an improved route with different belt size I don't know for sure. There is serp belt tensioner and that is what you will use the tool for. Once you move the tensioner it seems like it can be locked in place by sticking a pin of any sort into a hole on the tensioner.

As far as a cam sprocket lock tool look on the ipd website so you know what it looks like. It locks the cam sprockets in place so that they don't move when removing and reinstalling the belt. Some people use it others don't. I have only done the job once and I didn't use it. I got it done but putting on the belt was a test. There are some good write ups and videos on the web about that timing belt job.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

good point about the belt routing. There's an old and new routing design which changed the length of the drive belt. Make note of the part number when ordering the serpentine belt. I did my 95 850T using a Conti 6PK1743 - which is the longer 23.5 cm (recommended) belt - your 96 probably already spec's the longer belt, not sure about the 94.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 96850urbo
The serp belt tool will be the same on the 94. Just take note of the belt when so when you go to reroute it. Thinking about it seems like the belt route may have changed. Are you replacing the serp or just reusing? If you reuse then just have in go on like it came off. If it's a new belt it may have an improved route with different belt size I don't know for sure. There is serp belt tensioner and that is what you will use the tool for. Once you move the tensioner it seems like it can be locked in place by sticking a pin of any sort into a hole on the tensioner.

As far as a cam sprocket lock tool look on the ipd website so you know what it looks like. It locks the cam sprockets in place so that they don't move when removing and reinstalling the belt. Some people use it others don't. I have only done the job once and I didn't use it. I got it done but putting on the belt was a test. There are some good write ups and videos on the web about that timing belt job.

Thanks for the info!

I went to the IPD website and it is broken. I ask if the cam lock tool works on the 960 and it just sends me in circles and wants me to buy brake tools. Really pissed me off. This is a simple IT fix. Given what we pay for parts (and I have 3 cars to spend $400+ just on parts= 1200) I really don't want to screw around with the website just to get the answer to a question, so it looks like I'm buying those parts at FCP Euro if IPD can't even keep their website working properly. This crap happens every time I click on "Will this fit my car?" and I'm really tired of it.

If they're so busy making money they can't maintain their website, I'll relieve the stress they feel and take my business elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

found this testimonial on the IPD site - "This serpentine belt tool fits perfect on a 97 960 Volvo tensioner. This tool was made for the 960, you have lots of room and will not hit the frame or any part of the engine"

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5830...tine-belt-tool

If you don't want to buy one, PM me if you'd like to "rent" mine (I'm in CT)

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 PM

If you are in Vancouver Washington send me a pm. You can borrow the one I bought.
Originally Posted by strelnik
Thanks for the info!

I went to the IPD website and it is broken. I ask if the cam lock tool works on the 960 and it just sends me in circles and wants me to buy brake tools. Really pissed me off. This is a simple IT fix. Given what we pay for parts (and I have 3 cars to spend $400+ just on parts= 1200) I really don't want to screw around with the website just to get the answer to a question, so it looks like I'm buying those parts at FCP Euro if IPD can't even keep their website working properly. This crap happens every time I click on "Will this fit my car?" and I'm really tired of it.

If they're so busy making money they can't maintain their website, I'll relieve the stress they feel and take my business elsewhere.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 96850urbo
If you are in Vancouver Washington send me a pm. You can borrow the one I bought.

Thanks for the offer on the belt tool, I now have a great one, thanks to a guy who gave me his.

I'd like to buy the cam locking tool if I can find a source. Anyone got one?

I'm having so much trouble with the IPD source and circular advice I'm going to buy the stuff for the three timing belt+water pump changes from FCP Euro.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

cam locks are not required, particularly for the older white blocks which don't have VVT. just mark the cams/crank marks with some white paint and rotate clockwise until the cams line up to the marks on the timing cover before you remove the old belt.

If you really want one, FCP and IPD do sell the four pin style cam gear lock for 850s for $20 or so.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 AM

I would consider this style cam lock:

Volvo Cam Camshaft Crankshaft Head Engine Alignment Locking Lock Top Tool Kit | eBay

Why? Because sometimes, when you do timing belt service, you replace cam seals.

This goes on the other end of the cam, and can hold the cams straight while you pull the cam gears and change the front cam seals.

When you get ready to change the rear cam seals, the timing belt will hold the cams straight for you if it's installed.

The question arises, which is right for you? The style I mention above, or this style?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...front-cta-2883

The 4 pin style is nice if all you're doing is timing service. The one that goes on the rear of the cams requires you remove the distributor and cam sensor hardware so it can be inserted in the slots at the rear of the cams. Also, if you've got non-standard timing from doing something like a NA cam swap, you can't easily use the rear cam locks, as the slots won't be straight.

I see benefits to each tool and will probably own both. I have the one that goes on the rear of the cams now.

And I've changed timing belts without the cam locking tools. It's doable.