Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Towing trailer with lowered suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing trailer with lowered suspension

Hi guys

Bought a 850 T5 about a week ago and i'm in the progress of doing a stage 0 tune up and fitting better brakes and suspension.

But i have a question that i'm hoping i can get answered

Has anyone got experience with towing a trailer with lowered springs?

The reason i bought the car in the first place is that i want to use it as an towing car then i go rallying and use it as a service vehicle.

But i also use it as a daily driver and i find the car a bit boaty in the way it handles compared to the hot hatchbacks i've previously owned.

That's why i really would like to get the car lowered a bit and mount now shocks and springs in the rear instead of the nivomat that the car uses now.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Good question, and one that I'm eager to see replies to. I am in a similar situation in that I would like to be able to to a small u haul trailer or ultralight camper/pop up camper with a lowered car. The car came lowered on IPD blue springs with Koni yellows.

That said, I suspect it wouldnt be an issue, if your springs are stiff enough and with the right shocks/struts. It may depend on the trailer you are planning to tow and its ride/deck height. I'm limited in my experience on towing trailer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Lowering the vehicle may effectively reduce the tongue weight you can safely tow without inducing sway. You may have to compensate by adjusting the height of the ball and/or stiffer rear shocks.

Last edited by 97-850Wagen; 01-30-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by tryingbe
The overload springs is stock height.
Description says that they are at least so they do not work in my case

Old 01-31-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
Good question, and one that I'm eager to see replies to. I am in a similar situation in that I would like to be able to to a small u haul trailer or ultralight camper/pop up camper with a lowered car. The car came lowered on IPD blue springs with Koni yellows.

That said, I suspect it wouldnt be an issue, if your springs are stiff enough and with the right shocks/struts. It may depend on the trailer you are planning to tow and its ride/deck height. I'm limited in my experience on towing trailer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Lowering the vehicle may effectively reduce the tongue weight you can safely tow without inducing sway. You may have to compensate by adjusting the height of the ball and/or stiffer rear shocks.
The trailer i plan to use is fairly low as it is so i don't think that it should give me any problems.

Here is a picture of a trailer very similar to the one i own

My main concern is if the rear springs can handle it. The suspension kit i have been looking at is the orange Koni STR.T.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...rs-rear-30mm-2

Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 PM

I'd say grab a tape measure and hook it up. You want the tongue to be level while hooked up, and the rear to not sag/rub.

Bear in mind the wagon has a 3300lb max towing capacity. I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but I vaguely recall the max tongue weight is 300lb in stock form. On lowering springs, I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it will make.

Regarding the STR-T shocks, they will be stiffer than stock, however may not hold up to repeated use for towing and may wear out faster. I would suggest an adjustable shock like the Koni Yellows that you can dial in for stiffer dampening if you are towing, or perhaps even a full coilover setup (the most idea option, and unfortunately the most expensive).

Old 02-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
I'd say grab a tape measure and hook it up. You want the tongue to be level while hooked up, and the rear to not sag/rub.

Bear in mind the wagon has a 3300lb max towing capacity. I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but I vaguely recall the max tongue weight is 300lb in stock form. On lowering springs, I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it will make.

Regarding the STR-T shocks, they will be stiffer than stock, however may not hold up to repeated use for towing and may wear out faster. I would suggest an adjustable shock like the Koni Yellows that you can dial in for stiffer dampening if you are towing, or perhaps even a full coilover setup (the most idea option, and unfortunately the most expensive).
Coilovers would be a bit overkill for this car

Koni Yellows look like the right choice. Demon Tweeks also had a nice discount on Bilstein shocks now so might have to consider them too

Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 PM

I'd say go with the Koni Yellow. It seems to be the consensus that the Bilstein HD's are too stiff/rough for daily driving, YMMV of course. Personally I have the Koni's and while the handling on the car is fantastic, they are quite stiff/rough in every day driving, and the rattles/shakes over bumps are quite loud at times. I'm currently in the midst of sound deadening the car to compensate for that, and having done the floor pans it has made a big difference. However my quarter panels still rattle and vibrate something fierce.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

towing capacities should be listed in the owners manual.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
towing capacities should be listed in the owners manual.
I know what the towing capacities is for the car or at least what it is rated for here in Denmark.

1600 kg with brakes on the trailer

It's listed as 1800 kg in other EU countries.

More than enough towing capacity for what is going to use it for.

Planing on getting a set of Koni yellows here within the next couple of month

Will update the thread when the suspension is mounted and i've tried towing my rally car.