Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

I have a 94 850 Turbo, with a very bizarre problem. I'm driving up too highway speeds on my way too work, and all of a sudden I experience limp home mode on my car and all acceleration immediately cuts off. The Engine runs, and revs, but I have absolutely zero acceleration. I then tried too travel in another gear, none of them seemed too work not even reverse. Their wasn't any noise or and their wasn't slippage. The Orange Yellow Arrow did flash, for the first few times of me starting up my car, and retrying but now it hardly appears. I did a DTC code check, and this is what it thrown codes 313, 232, and 124. Do you think it could possibly just be my PNP switch? which is notorious for going out. Any help would be excellent, thanks guys.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it is more than just a PNP.
When it goes into limp home mode you start off in 3rd gear. But it will still drive.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 PM

I usually get rid of that by turning on and off my car a few times, but that situation you're having there is pretty wierd.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Yeah I know, it just does not make any sense at all. Normally when a transmission goes out from what I've be experienced you usually get some sort of noise, or one gear usually goes out. The transmission fluid wasn't discolored, and did not smell burnt as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Wow......I was test driving a 94' 850t turbo today and the same thing happened.
made it back to the dealer......the fluid wasnt burnt and after it cooled down for 15 or so min it drove fine..??..
Any Idea's?......if it is something simple (for some reason I think it is) then It will be a good buy for me.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Doesn't the car go into limp home mode when the catalytic converter could be damaged from running to rich or if it is running lean? I am not sure if it is rich or lean or both, but I think it is one of them.

Also, I am pretty sure when it is in limp home mode, it is running very low pressure in the trans and can burn it up if you drive it too long. I don't know if that applies to Volvos or not, but I know some cars work like that.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Default Meaning?

I have looked at several "Term Glossarys" and havent seen the term PNP.........what is that please?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Park Neutral position sensor.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sappy
I have a 94 850 Turbo, with a very bizarre problem. I'm driving up too highway speeds on my way too work, and all of a sudden I experience limp home mode on my car and all acceleration immediately cuts off. The Engine runs, and revs, but I have absolutely zero acceleration. I then tried too travel in another gear, none of them seemed too work not even reverse. Their wasn't any noise or and their wasn't slippage. The Orange Yellow Arrow did flash, for the first few times of me starting up my car, and retrying but now it hardly appears. I did a DTC code check, and this is what it thrown codes 313, 232, and 124. Do you think it could possibly just be my PNP switch? which is notorious for going out. Any help would be excellent, thanks guys.
According to doco i got via JPN; here's what those codes tell us:

DTC/OBD-II DTC........ Warning Light On ......... Fault/Repair
================================================== ==
313/P0705 ............... Yes ............... Gear Position Sensor Signal Incorrect

232/P0500 ............... Yes ...... Speedometer Signal Missing Or Vehicle Speed Signal Missing

124 ...................... No ............ Short To Ground In Mode Selector Switch Circuit

So first and last ones point to PNP switch. Let me know if you're interested in the detailed diagnostics; i can PM those sections of the doc to you.

Last edited by gdog; 04-27-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM

I got a code from mine of a 322.....

Old 04-30-2009, 05:39 AM

My 1995 850 turbo did kind of the same thing, when i was driving, i noticed, that my gear box was not switching the gears. i stopped, put the gear box in neutral and pressed the gas pedal and the car moved slowly.

On the second day, even though i turned the car off 20 minutes ago the car failed to start. the dashboard lamps where on, but the engine made no move.

I thought it was because of bad batteries. So in order to identify whether it was because of bad batteries or transmission. I moved the transmission selector couple of times to all gear positions, shaked the car, and did the same.

Believe me or not, but the car turned on as if nothing has happened.

So here some tips what you can do in that case - someone told me that it could be the "switch" problem.

The switch is located on top of the gearbox, just down left of the battery compartment. It is probably very easy to remove it from the transmission and replace it or repair it. But be careful when removing the switch wiring.

After removed, you have to open the switch and examine the contacts. If the contacts are polluted clean them with abrasive paper. In order to keep the contacts on the same height, put the abrasive paper, on glass, or something else with the similar even surface and than clean the surface of the Switch.

And time after time clean off the dirt with gasoline.

Also clean the contact copper brushes.

I am sorry i don't have my own photos so i find some picture of the switch on the internet.

[img]Switch[/img]

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Problem-switch.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM

What kind of "switch" is this??

Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Default "Switch" or "Selector"

some call it "selector" - i am not native English speaker, but i think attached illustration will help you to figure out, where this item is mounted.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Problem-selector-121.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator

PNP switch (Park Neutral Position sensor)