Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Ordered a PCV kit from FCP for my brother, replaced it, now stalling at idle....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a PCV kit from FCP for my brother, replaced it, now stalling at idle....

Here's the deal....

- I have replaced the PCV kit before on my 850 NA. I know about the "most common to forget" vacuum lines, like the one on the front of the manifold, and the brake hose that goes to the master cylinder, etc.
- His car is actually a '98 V70 Turbo. Everything was the same except for the extra turbo hoses.
- His car stalls at low rpms (idle), but runs somewhat smooth when hitting the gas.
- His fuel rail had way more fuel [pressure] than mine when releasing pressure and just draining it after removal. I'm wondering if this could be the problem that the turbo needs an immense amount of pressure compared to my NA 850. ???
- His #1 fuel injector did kinda come off at an angle compared to the other 4, but we just straightened it back out.... so no biggie, right?
- My bro did get a new tune up kit, as well.... and I replaced the plugs and distributor rotor, while he matched the new cap/wires to old cap/wires, supposedly.

We would have sworn up and down that we connected everything properly, just as we had taken it off.... but I never remembered connecting that one PCV hose to the front of the intake manifold, so we connected that, not expecting it to help... and it, indeed, did NOT help. But other than that we DID connect everything properly.

Don't know what else to do tomorrow... but check for fuel getting to each plug, spark to each wire, etc. No OBD codes, so I guess we just have to take it from the top, and I'm guessing it will be a vacuum leak somewhere. Any other ideas???

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice to be able to do more at once but it throws you for a loop when something doesn't work.

The most common problem is the wires pinched at the corner of the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

Then there is usually a hose, turbo intake that is not all the way on or comes loose that causes a massive vacuum problem, no idle.

The first thing to do is STOP saying that you did everything right. If you did, it wouldn't be stalling. LOL

My idle problem on our '98 GLT was that the lower hose on the idle control valve came loose.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM

Thank you, rspi. Your suggestions will be moved to the front of the line!!

We'll have our work cut out for us in the morning. But those are definitely GREAT tips!!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Which wires do you suspect would be most problematic from the pinching behind the throttle body??

TPS wires? I was able to feel behind them while it was dark and thought that it was VERY tight, but it didn't seem like a problem. I'm wondering if that is really the problem. I'm almost 95% sure it is some type of wiring problem.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Vacuum leak ?? I'd check the line to the fuel pressure regulator and the "log" at the throttle body, other end of the fuel rail.

Attached Thumbnails Ordered a PCV kit from FCP for my brother, replaced it, now stalling at idle....-fuel-pressure_regulator_vac_line.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 06-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Which instructions did you use? The wire bundle that I was talking about comes around the motor and often gets pinched between the intake manifold and head. So the manifold will not be secure against the head.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 AM

So just to update, we got it running after about 3 hours, mostly because the MAF threw us for a loop.

- Checked firing order on new plugs/distributor, and they checked out OK.
- Checked the plugs to see if they were getting fuel. All good, but one had an extra washer from the old plug. By simply removing that it would ALMOST stay running at idle.
- Decided to run it without the air box and most hoses hooked up, and then it stayed running, altho very rough. I thought... ya know what, MAF sensor went bad. We hook box, hoses back up, let it run rough and then I plug MAF sensor in and it cuts off. I'm like... OK, we'll just replace it. Found one parts store that actually had it in stock, drove 5 miles there and tried it. For sure thought it was going to fix the problem. Nope. Still idling with it connected.
- For shiggles & gits, I put my MAF sensor on his car in case the new, non-Bosch one was bunk. Nope, still not working.
- So we start getting serious about finding the air leak at that point. I'm like, it's GOT to be the intake manifold. I watched my brother tighten it yesterday. But the first two top bolts I tried tightening had a FEW turns a piece left on 'em, and they were right next to each other. I'm like.. "yea, that's definitely the problem!"

Oh well, at least he found that extra plug washer. That would have caused some long-term probs I'd think. It already had a good bit of [what I thought was] oil on the plug's threads. Not sure where that came from.

EDIT: That extra washer was in the #3 spark plug hole. But it didn't have any excessive oil when we were replacing parts yesterday. The first two spark plug holes were literally half-full of oil. Where does THAT oil come from?? If it were from the pcv hose that connects to the valve cover, it seems that the #2 and #3 holes would have been the ones filling up, not the #1 and #2.

Last edited by grndslm; 07-01-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So . . . it was the loose manifold

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Correct.

Still wondering about the oil in the spark plugs holes, tho. Before replacing PCV system, the first two holes were half full of oil. Where did that come from? The PCV hose that attaches to the top of the valve cover??

Then how did the extra spark plug washer cause oil leakage? There was oil on its threads after replacing the pcv system, while its hole was not even a tad full of oil before replacing the system.

The issue is fixed now, but just wondering where this oil is coming from.