Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Warning lights wont turn off

Old 04-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning lights wont turn off

I have a 1997 850. The starter went out the other day, so I replaced it. Now, when I start the car, almost all of the warning lights come on and stay on. They should turn off after the engine starts. Here are the warnings:

- low washer fluid
- low fuel
- bulb failure (although, I actually removed one bulb since the lens is gone and i didn't want it to go bad in the rain)
- SRS (this turns off after the engine starts)
- generator not charging (battery)
- brake warning
- parking brake applied
- check engine
- service engine
- low coolant level

The battery was disconnected for maybe 36 hours. The car runs fine now, but these warning lights wont turn off. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have 2 power wires connected to the stud on the starter?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your immobilizer was activated when the battery was disconnected. Lock and unlock the doors (preferably with the remote if you have one) and life will be good again unless you killed the battery all over again.

...Lee

Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Do you have 2 power wires connected to the stud on the starter?
Yes, but I was not able to tighten the nut completely. On my way home tonight, all the lights started to dim, and finally the engine gave out on me. I do not think the alternator is charging the battery. Could the loose nut on the stud cause this in addition to the warning lights issue?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ozark Lee
Your immobilizer was activated when the battery was disconnected. Lock and unlock the doors (preferably with the remote if you have one) and life will be good again unless you killed the battery all over again.

...Lee
Before the car died, I had locked and unlocked all doors several times, but the warning lights were still on. What is the immobilizer? Is it the theft-deterrent system that blinks red when all the doors are locked?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I misread your post so disregard the immobilizer, you are correct that the alternator isn't charging. The alternator feeds power back to the system through the starter line so getting the nut tight on the stud is critical.

It is normal for most of the lights you listed to be on if the alternator isn't working but I'm not sure why the SRS, Low Fuel, and the Service Reminder are on as well. A low battery causes all kinds of odd things to happen.

...Lee

Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM

here are my 10 cents on the loose/poor contact between two cables on the stud at starter motor. Electronics on cars go south if they dont get proper voltage and specially when the generator part is not working. So, you might want to clean the thimbles on those cables before tightening them again because you might have already developed some carbon there due to sparking from bad contact.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Yes get that nut tightened. In 1998 Volvo had a batch of new C70's get out with the nut loose and it caused the same issue.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM

OK...so I took another look at the starter motor stud, and it turns out that I missed one of the power wires after all. I attached it, charged the battery and got it home last night. All the lights were off except for the check engine light.

I'm having another issue now, however. The warning light shaped like an upward facing arrow that indicates winter/wet starting mode began flashing while on my way home from Jack in the Box last night. My volvo manual says that this means there is a fault in the automatic gearbox, and suggests taking the vehicle to the dealer -- which I'm not going to do. While driving (with the arrow flashing), the RPMs would rev up to 5000+, but the car would barely accelerate. I'd have to ease of the pedal, since the RPMs were getting too high. I had to do this all the way home.

Is this something I can fix myself, or do I really need to go to the dealership? If so, where might I start diagnosis?

Also, I should note that the power wires were NOT tight when this happened, as I didn't have the proper tools where the car died the previous night. I've just tightened them, and am about to take a test run around the neighborhood, so if the symptoms have ceased, I'll post an update.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Have the codes cleared.
When the arrow flashes it starts off in 3rd gear.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM

1- Disconnect battery
2- Tighten all the connections/wires.
3- Reconnect battery. Clear all codes if you still see the arrow ligth ON.
Start car, check transmission fluid level and try ratcheting your gear shifter from end to end few times and finally stop in 'D' and try driving the car.
Update your results and I guess we will go from there.

BTW, I confirmed that all lights including SRS stays ON if the alternator is not working. I did timing belt on my wagon today and noticed all lights On when I started it for testing without serpentine belt.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 AM

OK, all bolts are tightened, and the winter/wet indicator has stopped blinking. The transmission seems to be working fine now. I'll be clearing the computer codes this week, so that should hopefully take care of the check engine light.

Thanks