Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

C30 2.0D 2008 not starting. Have I fubar-ed something?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C30 2.0D 2008 not starting. Have I fubar-ed something?

Hi all. Been browsing this and other sites looking for leads but no joy. Really hoping someone here might be able to help. So – without further ado:
1. Yesterday - poor starting traced to air bubbles in fuel pipe from fuel filter. Replaced fuel filter and seal. Flattened battery re-priming the fuel pump. Completed priming by jumping from a second battery.
2. Engine now starts and runs (with hardly any bubbles in fuel pipe) but whilst mopping up spilt fuel around filter with engine running managed to get a rag caught up and tightly wrapped around alternator pully under drive belt. Left battery on charge overnight.
3. Today -cut drive belt as only way to remove rag. Ordered new belt and decided to do oil and filter change whilst waiting for new belt. Disconnected charger.
4. Decided to start engine (with no alternator belt) to check that it still starts and runs and to warm the oil a little before draining. Engine struggles to slowly turn over but fires and runs ok after a couple of turns. Switched off after a minute or so.
5. Reconnected charger (running at 5 to 6 amps) to boost battery and attempted to restart engine. Heard a slight click then nothing. Disconnected charger and tried again – nothing, not even a click – but now have engine warning light.
6. Checked battery voltage at 12.6volts which drops momentarily to 11.6v when turn ignition to start position but no click or anything from starter.
7. Suspected that the battery may be the problem so jumped a good battery across this and tried to start but made no difference. Just complete silence when turn key.
8. Note that when turning the ignition key all the dash lights come on as normal then go out as usual when attempting to start, except the check engine light. Also noticed that the headlights come on as usual and then dim right down as the key hits the ’start’ position (although I’m not sure if this is normal).
9. So - have I fubar-ed something by attempting to start the engine a) – with no alternator belt or b) with the battery charger still connected? Or is it something else? The car has done about 70kmiles and is all in good clean condition with no corroded cables or suchlike as far as I can see. And has, until now, been starting and running faultlessly during the six months since acquisition.
Thanks for reading.
Paul

Last edited by Fivvers; 02-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow-up. Sorted! It seems the starter motor or solenoid is dying. A couple of sharp taps and it will turn over, but weakly. So next step is to whip it out and give it a going over.