Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo C70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Default 01 C70 starting problems

My C70 tries not to start sometimes. It just cranks and doesn't turn over. Sounds like its not getting fuel. When I give it gas it turns over. Sometimes at a stop when I let off the brake to inch up it sputters. Like its going to die. Doesn't do it all the time. Took it to a Volvo shop today and since there were not warning lights on they couldn't figure out what it was. They were unable to get it to mess up while they were testing. Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM

fuel filter been changed lately?

r
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
fuel filter been changed lately?

r
No I haven't change it and I've had it for 7 months. Which was my thoughts also, something fuel related. But since it doesn't do it all the time, the shop couldn't figure it out.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm having the same problem! Sometimes it wants to start but sometimes it doesn't. It will crank over but not start. So I have to sit there for a few minutes, as long as 15 min sometimes for it to start. Took it to a Volvo shop and they couldn't figure it out. Haven't tried the Fuel filter yet, but did it work for someone with the same problem

thanks,
DjMony
Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmony View Post
I'm having the same problem! Sometimes it wants to start but sometimes it doesn't. It will crank over but not start. So I have to sit there for a few minutes, as long as 15 min sometimes for it to start. Took it to a Volvo shop and they couldn't figure it out. Haven't tried the Fuel filter yet, but did it work for someone with the same problem

thanks,
DjMony
If your car was running the same as OP then perhaps the same problem.
On an 01 could also be an immobilizer problem for intermittent starting. Antenna ring around the key cylinder is the most common component failure, 9445961. This though would not cause your car to sputter when braking.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks MKC70 for the info. The shop did mention that it could be the immobilizer and the key I had might be causing it to shut down. So I ordered a new key and had the Local Volvo dealership reprogram all the keys and the new one, but still had the same starting problem.

It does sometimes start up for maybe 1 or 2 seconds then dies, so it could be the immobilizer. Can that be taken out or replaced?

thanks,
DjMony
Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmony View Post
Thanks MKC70 for the info. The shop did mention that it could be the immobilizer and the key I had might be causing it to shut down. So I ordered a new key and had the Local Volvo dealership reprogram all the keys and the new one, but still had the same starting problem.

It does sometimes start up for maybe 1 or 2 seconds then dies, so it could be the immobilizer. Can that be taken out or replaced?

thanks,
DjMony
Previous post has the part#. The antenna ring is the piece that you see around the key cylinder. This is the part if something were to go bad that you read about people replacing, other than the occasional key. All you need to do to replace is remove the torx screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud, and remove it. Pull antenna ring off of cylinder and unplug. Plug in new one and replace shroud. Part is not expensive and can be done by you at no cost.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Could this issue also be on an 2004. Ours sometimes wont start, I'll have to wait about 20 seconds and then it will usually start. Except when I took it to the tire shop to get a puncture fixed. The gal moving the car had to do it like 4 times before she could move it. Very embarrassing.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Could this issue also be on an 2004. Ours sometimes wont start, I'll have to wait about 20 seconds and then it will usually start. Except when I took it to the tire shop to get a puncture fixed. The gal moving the car had to do it like 4 times before she could move it. Very embarrassing.
Yes it is possible. Make certain no other RFID tags(eg. gym key,work tag) are on the key ring as they will also interfere with the little chip in the key.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc70 View Post
Yes it is possible. Make certain no other RFID tags(eg. gym key,work tag) are on the key ring as they will also interfere with the little chip in the key.

Still having the problem, and now when I leave in the morning or any time my car has been sitting for a couple hours while I'm driving it kinda cuts out. Like its put-puting along. I can still gain speed and after a minute or so it stops. But my check engine light is on and has been on for a week or so. I took it back to the Vovlo shop and even with the check engine light being on, they still tell me they can't find anything. My SRS light is now on also. They told me there's a problem with that and that my airbags won't deploy in an accident. But I'm not to sure if they know what they are talking about at this point. Volvo told me it could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor, (which I replaced about 5 months ago) but I replaced it again. And didn't help one bit. I will be changing the fuel filter and possible an O2 sensor this weekend. But if anyone has any other suggestions, please please advise. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Tags
2004, 9445961, antenna, c70, crank, dies, fuel, part, problems, ring, sputtering, starting, turns, volvo, wont, xc90