Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

08 C70 heavy vibration during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 C70 heavy vibration during acceleration

I'm hoping some one else has had this problem before. I bought my 08 C-70 new so I know everything that has been done to it.Its been a Florida car all of its life. I have had no drive train problems before. It has 80k miles now and started producing a slight vibrating during acceleration about 6 months ago. It eventually got to the point where I have to accelerate slowly and even then it still does it. After its up to speed it seems to be fine. The engine seems to run fine with plenty of power. The transmission shifts normally. I was thinking of the motor mounts. Any suggestions? Thanks Cheers Stan

Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have someone observe engine on start up to observe engine movement at low rpm and up to 3k rpm. Low should be around 700 when warmed up.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Default C70 vib upon aceleration

Thank You for your input! So you also think it might be one of the motor mounts. I will check it this coming week end and post my results. I'm just curious about the drive shafts and CV's. I didn't think they could wear out at this millage ( 80K ). I don't hear any noise coming from them as I have with other cars that bad CV joints in the past. This car has never been wrecked and I take pretty good care of it. The driving conditions in FL are pretty good, I always avoid deep puddles and holes, none of the boots are split. Whats your best guess on the expected average life of volvo CV's.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flybynight300
I'm hoping some one else has had this problem before. I bought my 08 C-70 new so I know everything that has been done to it.Its been a Florida car all of its life. I have had no drive train problems before. It has 80k miles now and started producing a slight vibrating during acceleration about 6 months ago. It eventually got to the point where I have to accelerate slowly and even then it still does it. After its up to speed it seems to be fine. The engine seems to run fine with plenty of power. The transmission shifts normally. I was thinking of the motor mounts. Any suggestions? Thanks Cheers Stan
Unfortunately it is probably one or both of your CV axles - the right being more common. We see this often on these models unfortunately. Here are some prices for Genuine Volvo axles so you can prepare yourself ...

36000559 AXLE SHAF $513.00 right A/T
36000550 AXLE SHAF $468.49 left A/T

there are aftermarket Chinese ones out there for less of course

Tim

Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Front axles 2008 c70 automatic

LEFT: $97.95, RIGHT: $129.95 from IPDUSA.COM

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Smile 2008 C-70 80k miles Vibration upon acceleration

C-70 Titled in 11/2008 new left over. Florida car since new mostly highway miles,never wrecked. T-5 gas engine with automatic trans 80k miles to date. I'm sorry that it took me so long to get back to you with my findings. I ran into a few snags and the car sat in the garage apart for a few weeks till I could get back to it. I replaced both shafts at the same time because when I did a review I found both inboard CV joint boots torn ( almost apart ) on left side and completely apart on the right. I do not have an affiliation with advance auto and bought both for under 130.00 not including core charge. The right side was a snap, it took about 1.5hr's, including a coffee break! The left side would not come out. I had concerns about prying against the trans axle to get the shaft out. I tried prying gently but with no success. I tried locking on it with a vise grip and tapping on the vise but again no joy. After some research I found a CV joint removal tool that is designed to slip behind the CV joint and connect to a slide hammer puller. The local advance auto rents the tool but did not have one in any of the 5 stores locally that I checked. I found it with a kit, in several auto parts stores on line but it included most of what I already had and was close to 100.00.I only needed the attachment tool. I found it on e bay new for 25.00. It did not fit between the CV joint and trans-axle but it has a gradual taper to it and its made of harden steel. I felt more comfortable placing it between the trans-axle and the CV joint as far as I could and tapping on it. It took a few good hard blows before it popped out. Installing the new shaft was the same problem. I tried shoving it in with some force and then tapping on the end with a dead blow, then a brass hammer but no joy, It wouldn't go in. I didn't feel comfortable beating on the end of the shaft with any force so I removed the boot clamp and grease and then lightly lubed the shaft end of the inner CV joint housing and using a long brass rod and hammer popped it in, then lubed and reassembled it with a new boot clamp. About 95% of the vibrations are gone now. Its not like it was when it was new, it still has a very slight vibration upon acceleration. But that could be because I didn't use Volvo shafts or even new shafts for that matter. I used rebuilt shafts , probably from China. The information provided with the shafts suggests that if the inboard boots are torn to check the motor mounts for wear. I don't know how bad they would have to be to tear the boots. I bought a Volvo vida manual but cant get it to work. I'm told I need to put windows 7 back in my computer ( I downloaded a free version of 10 and thought it was an upgrade but I don't like it ), it was windows 7 when I bought it. So that's my next step as well as a better inspection of the mounts. If you have any input on which mount might cause this vibration or the destruction of the inboard boots please advise. I looked the mounts over while they were loaded and I didn't see what I thought was and abnormal amount of movement. But then again over the years as a licensed aircraft mechanic I learned that some machines have major problems with minor variances and other machines will operate flawlessly without suspicion till they drop!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

rebuilt shafts start with an OEM volvo part (ie a core return) that has the worn parts replaced. I don't think that would create a fit problem. as you noted you can find kits to rebuild your own.