Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2000 C70 Self-Adjusting Transmission & Window Reg.Asmbly

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C70 Self-Adjusting Transmission & Window Reg.Asmbly

I just bought a C70 convertible with 96,000 miles. Everything known to mankind has been replaced on the car, so I'm guessing it will hold up for a while (I've read horrible reviews about this model year). I have one preventative maintenance question, and one repair question.

The repair question involves the driver's side window motor regulator assembly. It is broken, and I was aware of this at the time of purchase. One of the clips had broken off on the assembly. I would prefer not to buy a new OEM replacement assembly, but am hesitant to order a "quality inspected" used part from qualityautoparts.com. The reviews are either 5 stars, or 1 star, which is pretty unsettling given the price of the assembly from them ($425.00). A new one is $715.00, and labor would be $250. I was hoping to keep the repair to a maximum of $700.00. My question is, is there is a cheaper, easier fix that would avoid ordering another assembly? I would definitely go that route with my local mechanic if possible.

The preventative maintenance question involves the self-adjusting automatic transmission. I spoke with my mechanic about this (he actually brought it up) and I was told that this model has a lousy transmission with a low long-term success rate percentage. He said the transmission fluid gets too hot. He also said that the fluid is never to be replaced, and Volvo confirmed that. I thought it was odd, and potentially the reason for the overheating. It's shifting fine right now, but I am scared that there will be problems down the road, or down the block. Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of this wild card transmission? I barely ever get on it, so the transmission doesn't really have to learn aggressive or sport shifting.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the window regulator bracket assembly is easy. Proper adjustment of 2 bottom screws is essential to get the right window seal. A dollar bill should drag on the window when it is closed if adjusted right. Patients required. 3 hr job. Did my drivers door. Good luck. Good price on regulator, I got mine off e-bay, about same cost.