Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Grinding sound after power steering pump change

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound after power steering pump change

I just changed the power steering pump on my 2001 C70 - went pretty smoothly, actually. Anyway, after finishing the install and adding some fluid to the power steering reservoir, I fired up the engine and it sounded good (I only ran it for a couple of minutes). The next time I fired up the engine, there was a grinding sound. Being concerned, I turned off the motor, and re-started it. Same thing. I shut it off, took off the rubber hose (on bottom) to the pump and some oil came out - I was concerned that maybe an 'air bubble' was keeping oil from getting to the pump. I hooked that back up and restarted the engine and the noise was gone. Well, sort of. It still makes the sound when I rev the engine much above idle. The power steering works fine, even when the noise is being made, and the noise doesn't seem to come from the pump - I don't feel any vibration or grinding when I put my finger on it. Can anyone give me some idea of what the problem is and how I could go about fixing it?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Grinding sound after power steering pump change

Did you use the correct power steering fluid? Some F*rd mechanic (long story) put another type in mine and after 30 minutes of driving I get the wrrring sound. There were bubbles like soda in the reservoir. Anyways, my mechanic Friend flush out the old and put in the correct and the problem when away. BTW I have a '00 C70 LPT conv.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 PM

are you sure all of the air is out of the system? open the cap. and turn the wheel from side to side, and sir will rise up. you dont bleed it from tbe bottom. Was the new pump an used one where, maybe the bearing are shot on the pully. If the noise is not coming from the pump. Is it coming from the rack? Find out where its coming from, maybe its a fluke that the noice happened when you were changing the pump.

S.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Well,

I went to the auto parts store and bought power steering fluid. Is there some other kind? There were a lot of bubbles at first, but after turning the tires for a while, it decreased dramatically, and I didn't note any bubbles after I let it sit again (still the noise tho). I took it to a shop and they think there might be a bearing out. It was a remanufactured pump, and I had a shop remove the pulley from the old pump and install it on the new pump (the same shop that did the work). I'll keep you all posted on the outcome!

Andrew

Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well there you go.................reman parts are likebuying items off from Ebay. You never know what your are going to get. Some reman units are simply cleaned and painted and then put out for sale. The pumps do go bad..............in fact I have had the pump, resovoir, and rack replaced on my c70 and this was when it had but 30,000 miles on the odometer.

r.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 PM

The sound went away, evidently something fell against the flywheel and got flung away. Woo Hoo! I saved a ton of money doing it myself, and I didn't have to switch to GEICO! BTW - I don't think a caveman could have fixed it...

Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: droobles

The sound went away, evidently something fell against the flywheel and got flung away. Woo Hoo! I saved a ton of money doing it myself, and I didn't have to switch to GEICO! BTW - I don't think a caveman could have fixed it...
Ummmm.. Is it possible your wording is wrong.. did you mean something other then your flywheel. I'm pretty sure if you have something thats in your bellhousing that is large enough /metal enough to cause a grinding noise you're gonna want to get thet checked out. Loose / cracked flywheel bolt perhaps.

S.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Default Grinding Sound one Answer-4 years later

I just had to post here as this popped up on the google search. I too had the grinding. I have an 01 with 80,000 miles. Original owner- I just took it for an oil change and it started to growl when we went slow. Could not hear it when underway at speed......thinking it needed a new steering pump. Well what happend was that the Volvo dealership has overfilled the steering fluid. Says right on the cap "DO NOT OVER FILL" Pulled the cap and saw it was about 6 oz too much. I sucked it out to the cold full level and noise gone. Now I hope I can explain that oily taste from my wife's turkey baster. Glad this is solved so easily.