Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo C70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Question Immobiliser problem

Hi. My 2001 C70 has a nasty habit of starting running a few seconds and then cutting out. If I return the key to fully CCW, wait a few seconds and try again usually it works. I think it is not recognising the key and operating the immobiliser.

This is just a pain in the a** . Does anyone know how to either fix the problem or disable the immobiliser
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteydog View Post
Hi. My 2001 C70 has a nasty habit of starting running a few seconds and then cutting out. If I return the key to fully CCW, wait a few seconds and try again usually it works. I think it is not recognising the key and operating the immobiliser.

This is just a pain in the a** . Does anyone know how to either fix the problem or disable the immobiliser
You can try bending the contact pins and using contact grease to get the antenna ring going, or just buy a replacement at your dealer ~$35. Piece that goes around the key cylinder. Normally though the immobilizer if not starting only cranks on subsequent turns of the key. If it is actually running then I would add the fuel pump relay on your list of possible culprits.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 PM

It just died with a flat battery this week. I just has to replace the alternator which is fine now. Maybe the lack of volts was part of the problem with the immobiliser coz it's stopped happening now!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 AM

Volvo really screwed the pooch on this one.... I've Googled the problem, and apparently the immobilisers were such a problem, that they now market a bypass wiring harness. I'm still considering installing one myself since the original glitches I've experienced have left me stranded.

Direct email: mauisolutions@hotmail.com

1998 C70 Coupe 2.3 HPT
1988 Toyota Camry
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C70CoupeMaui View Post
Volvo really screwed the pooch on this one.... I've Googled the problem, and apparently the immobilisers were such a problem, that they now market a bypass wiring harness. I'm still considering installing one myself since the original glitches I've experienced have left me stranded.
You have mentioned this bypass wiring harness before which is not listed by anyone(nor mentioned). Your signature states you have a 98 model C70 it would be silly for you to order the part(if it even exists,which I highly doubt) considering your car does not have one. 99 was the first year Volvo introduced chipped immobilizer keys for the US market using a passive RFID signal. Your car leaving you stranded is something else and not this particular problem.

Last edited by mkc70; 05-05-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Question HELP!! S60R dead....

About a month ago I purchased a 2004 S60R. Everything has been great with the car until this last week. I made it to my destination and then when I went to move my car, no start. Keep in the mind the lights, air- conditioning, radio everything appears to function except the engine won't even crank over. The message window said "immobilizer see manual", although the manual was of no help as it only provided a definition of what that is and the message does NOT appear everytime. So, the next day I tried starting it again still same situation. I ended up getting it jump started and assumed it was a battery and took it to the dealer, got a new batter and oil change. The dealership did a complete inspection and it seemed I was good to go. The next morning I go to start it, same problem, no start and this time it would not even jump start. I have now replaced the antenna ring and starter relay...the car will start intermittently. So it starts...I let it run a bit, shut it down and then it won't start so I'll wait a while and then it may or may not start. I've used both the master key and the service key, it does not appear to matter, neither work. Very strange! I'm VERY frustrated and based on some of the message boards it appears this is not that uncommon of a problem, however it does not seem anyone has found a solution. It has now been at the dealership a day and no response. If anyone has experienced this I would love any HELP you can give!! Thanks

Update: I took my vehicle to the dealership and had the starter replaced in May 2010 all was well until August 2011 I started having the exact same issue again. The message board just says "immobizer see manual". I tried the spare key, I tried to jump start the car, set off the alarm to reset it...etc. Nothing worked. Had it towed to the dealership. They say the starter is bad AGAIN in just over a year. Luckily Volvo paid for the starter this time and I picked up the labor cost. I am praying this will not happen again before I sell this car.

Last edited by ams1443; 09-03-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams1443 View Post
About a month ago I purchased a 2004 S60R. Everything has been great with the car until this last week. I made it to my destination and then when I went to move my car, no start. Keep in the mind the lights, air- conditioning, radio everything appears to function except the engine won't even crank over. The message window said "immobilizer see manual", although the manual was of no help as it only provided a definition of what that is and the message does NOT appear everytime. So, the next day I tried starting it again still same situation. I ended up getting it jump started and assumed it was a battery and took it to the dealer, got a new batter and oil change. The dealership did a complete inspection and it seemed I was good to go. The next morning I go to start it, same problem, no start and this time it would not even jump start. I have now replaced the antenna ring and starter relay...the car will start intermittently. So it starts...I let it run a bit, shut it down and then it won't start so I'll wait a while and then it may or may not start. I've used both the master key and the service key, it does not appear to matter, neither work. Very strange! I'm VERY frustrated and based on some of the message boards it appears this is not that uncommon of a problem, however it does not seem anyone has found a solution. It has now been at the dealership a day and no response. If anyone has experienced this I would love any HELP you can give!! Thanks
If you have no other RFID tag or device on the key ring then the problem lies deeper than just an antenna ring. Problem needs to be hunted down physically for this to fixed. Which means you are going to need the dealers help on this one.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the reply!! Do you have any suggestions on where to start hunting it down? I have read so much information on the web regarding this problem and so many different suggestions from check on loose wires to replacing the Central Electric Module I feel a little overwhelmed.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 PM

When my 02 c-70 had the issues that you described, and a new ring and the actual immobilizer under the auto being replaced did not work, the factory tech authorized a new computer for the auto. When the box holding the cards was removed from the auto, it was found that the wiring harness was not making full contact. simple fix was cleaning contacts and wrapping electrical tape around. Volvo ate the entire cost for this two week horror story. Maybe this may be your issue??

r.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 AM

What is the "auto" and where is it??
Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 AM

Tags
2001, c70, fix, fixing, harness, immobiliser, immobilizer, pins, problem, problems, reset, s40, signal, volvo, xc70