Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo C70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Turbo Boost Pressure Sensor Replacement !

Hi guys,
been having a few problems again recently and this resulted in my engine management light coming on and the next morning, the car not starting. Got a guy with a meter in and he said the car was flooded (didn't know why) but the management light was coming on because of the turbo boost pressure sensor.

I thought I'd get hold of one and either fit it myself, or get someone else to do it. the guy with the meter pointed out a couple of possibilities where he thought the pressure sensor was, but admitted he'd never done one on a C70, so wasn't too sure.

I got on one of the part sites and put a requirement for a turbo boost pressure sensor. A few breakers replied and I ordered the part from one. When it came it looks completely different than what I thought. What I received looks like some some of filter/valve, with 2 very thin hoses coming off, one elongated plastic nipple that looks like a hose should fit on it, and a small plug socket. I was under the impression that the pressure sensor would look completely different.

I looked in the Haynes manual but it never said much. It just mentioned disconnecting the turbo boost pressure sensor as the last thing when removing the turbo. Do you have to remove the turbo to change the turbo boost pressure sensor?

I can post a picture of the part I received a bit later, and would be grateful for anyone's advice.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 PM

Post a picture of the part you received to get more information.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Default Update

Cheers for the reply mkc70. Been busy doing a bit more investigating and think I've sussed it out.

Funny thing is, I contacted lots of garages to try and get someone to look at it and they all declined. No-one would have a look at it.

I definately think the part is the right one. So no worries there.

Anyway, I think it's a really easy (like 5 mins) job and I'll barely need to bend over the engine. The turbo is at the back, but the sensor is at the front of the engine on the passenger side. It's just a matter of disconnecting the hoses and elecrical plug, and replacing the part. Then finding a way to clear the engine management light.

If the problem isn't fixed, then it'll come on again. Hopefully not.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM

OK, so the sensor is fitted. Took less than 10 minutes, and the car seems to idle a bit smoother after I turned it over.

Still need to clear the light but I'll sort something out for that. Even if I need to get a code reader. Probably still cheaper than taking it to a dealer, and I'll always be able to pull codes off if (when!) anything else goes wrong.

I'll keep an eye on it and if I get the code clearer and it stays off, then it's fixed.

Cheers.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Monkey, purchase a code reader................they are quite inexpensive and will re-set your error code.

r.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Story So Far ...

Hi Reg,
cheers, but I did actually decide to get one last week. Hasn't managed to clear it though. Here's the story so far.

Replaced the turbo boost pressure sensor. Turned out to be a 5 minute job after getting the part. Got a code reader and found out the car had an 0237 and 0236 error code. Cleared the codes, but almost immediately, the Engine Managment Light was on again.

Re-scanned and it had cleared the 0236, but the 0237 remained.

Thought that the next logical thing to try was to replace the MAF sensor. It arrived today and I fitted it tonight after work. Funny thing is, the car wouldn't even turn over after it was fitted. I tried again with the MAF sensor disconnected and still it wouldn't fire. Almost took out the new sensor but thought I'd just try taking out the air filter. I know it was pretty clogged and I already had one on order (should be here tomorrow). Anyway, took out the air filter and she fired first time. I tried clearing the codes again but it failed to clear the Engine Light. I let it run for a few minutes and tried kicking the accelerator a few times and it seemed to respond a lot better than it has in the last week (when it has been really bad - no acceleration, lack of power, but not using much fuel ?!?!?).

I rescanned and got 1 code 0237 (again) but also got an 0236 pending. I guess that this is a knock on effect.

I guess the next thing to try is to get someone to check out the electrics unless the 0237 will clear on it's own once the ECU has calmed down, the engines running normal again, and the emissions are back to normal.

Anyone any other ideas?

Cheers,
Monkey.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Is it a 98 or 99?
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Hi tech,
thanks for replying.

It was registered in late 2000 so I'd assume it's a 99. I'm sure it was the latest model T5 coupe they made.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Which sensor in the pipe going to the throttle body did you replace?
I believe there is 2 sensor in there.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM

Hi tech,
I've replaced the turbo boost pressure sensor and the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Is there anymore?

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM

Tags
boost, booster, code, disconnect, error, ford, map, p0237, part, pressure, sensor, t5, turbo, turbo pressure sensor, v50, volvo