Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

02 1.9t Replacing thermostat & temp sensor. Do I have to reset CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1.9t Replacing thermostat & temp sensor. Do I have to reset CEL?

Hi,
My Check Engine Light went on while out of town , so I stopped at a Auto Zone and had them do a scan, they told me it was the thermostat. They did not have in stock and being Sun am I decided to drive home (160 mi) as the temp gauge was reading normal w/ no signs of overheating.

So I started going to local shops trying to find a thermostat, I figured while I was at the shops I also would have them do a scan. One shop told me it was the temp sensor and yet another told me it was the thermostat. By this point I just decided to buy both.

So once I change these out will the CEL clear itself? Or will I need a scanner to do that? Or can I just disconnect the battery (as I have seen on the web) then just reconnect it again??

TIA

Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by escorial
Hi,
My Check Engine Light went on while out of town , so I stopped at a Auto Zone and had them do a scan, they told me it was the thermostat. They did not have in stock and being Sun am I decided to drive home (160 mi) as the temp gauge was reading normal w/ no signs of overheating.

So I started going to local shops trying to find a thermostat, I figured while I was at the shops I also would have them do a scan. One shop told me it was the temp sensor and yet another told me it was the thermostat. By this point I just decided to buy both.

So once I change these out will the CEL clear itself? Or will I need a scanner to do that? Or can I just disconnect the battery (as I have seen on the web) then just reconnect it again??

TIA
Should clear itself