Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

'05 S40 - AM radio reception bad. Aftermarket antenna??

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainor
Hey s40volvo, I share your pain!
Not exactly the same pain but similar.

My problem is only with my AM stations (FM ok all the time). The AM has not too bad a reception but gradually builds up lots of static. If I turn on the rear defrost it clears up to a "not too bad" reception.

Where I'm currently at is I bought a generic AM antenna off ebay for $23. 95 (currently listed as item # 110576781989, or search for "Universal Am-Fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio-New"). Unlike some aftermarket antenna's it doesn't require 12 volt power.

I detached the stock antenna and attached the aftermarket antenna to the connector in the rear driver-side C pillar where the S40 antenna cable connects to the rear window antenna. At this point the stock rear window antenna is totally disconnected from the system.

I tried running the aftermarket antenna along the rear window but still got static. Then I ran it along the roof liner up the driver side of the car and attached it to the front windshield.

I would like to tell you that this has totally fixed the static but it hasn't. What it has done though is make the AM stations clearer to start with and the static buildup takes longer before it becomes annoying. Then it's back to the old trick of turning on the rear window defroster to get back to clear reception. One downside I've noticed is now when I turn on the windshield wipers I get some buzzing interference on the AM stations - arrrggghhh!!

I haven't mounted anything permanently yet as I'm still looking for a better solution although I'm starting to think Volvo's are not intended to listen to AM radio!!

I've brought this up with my local Volvo dealer and he says there's nothing they have to fix the problem! Their service manager has a C40 with the same problem and he says he just never listens to AM radio. Hard to believe a company like Volvo can have such a basic flaw in their design.

From what I've seen (I'm not too mechanical) the rear window defroster has nothing to do with the radio antenna. I think if you look closely at the rear window you will see that the antenna wires are at the very top of the window and the defroster wires are just below them but not connected in any way. So I would think your defroster problem is something unrelated to the radio.

Again, caution that I'm not a mechanic and all of this is what I've found to work best for my car. Who knows what is actually causing the static as the fix of turning on the rear defroster makes no sense to me at all... but it works!

Well that's about all I can offer. Good luck and let me know if you come up with any better solution.

Rainor
Thanks for the info. My FM plays fine, but when I put the rear defroster on, it becomes scratchy. I listen to talk shows on AM and the AM goes dead if I pass under a small bridge. The bridge could be like 25 ft wide, I still lose all AM signal.

The crazy part about that is that I have a little radio that I use when I run that has AM/FM and I get AM reception inside the car loud and clear anywhere I drive. I could be going from Massachusetts to Maine while still listening to AM 1030 and even AM 1200. I guess I will try the aluminium foil approach.

I have the same delima with trying to get a new Cd player

Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Hey George that's an interesting idea. Keep me posted.

Thx, Rainor

Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM

For those that have had this issue, has the reception always been bad or was it good at one point?

On my 2009 S40, I've had good reception with AM HD on a local station (WBZ AM) but recently the HD reception has been spotty. I'm hoping that this isn't a sign of problems to come...

Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Hey Hammer,

My S40 is a 2005 but I only just bought it early 2010 so I don't know if it's always been a problem.

Even with my separate antenna I still get the static on AM after about 10-15 minutes of driving. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!

I'm hoping George posts his findings soon on his FireStick AM/FM antenna fix. If he's found a fix I'll be all over it.

Interestingly enough I bumped into someone at a car lot who had just bought a 2010 S40 with about 15k miles on it. He hadn't driven it off the lot yet so I warned him of the potential AM static. While we were standing there he started up the car and left it on AM for about 10 minutes and there was no static. Not sure if the static would start if we had kept running it longer or not. Maybe Volvo has fixed this problem?? Would be nice to know what they did to fix it.

Anyway, I live in hope of someone coming up with a fix.

Rainor

Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM

My 2005 Radio's is moody. I beleive that the AM reception is mediocre at best BUT some days the AM plays well and clear and other days, there is a lot of static. And I'm talking about being in the same areas. I go to NH and i would get AM 1200 sometimes clear and sometimes very fuzzy.

But AM 1030 is always clear all the way to Maine.

AM 680 is most of times times clear (80% of the times all the way to Mane)

AM 1510 is clear maybe 40% of the times.

I'm not sure what explanation that could be but even the arfter market antennas tend to stink with the volvos.

Is it the same Antenna for FM? Because my FM stations are very clear.

Maybe it's loose?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by s40volvo
My 2005 Radio's is moody. I beleive that the AM reception is mediocre at best BUT some days the AM plays well and clear and other days, there is a lot of static. And I'm talking about being in the same areas. I go to NH and i would get AM 1200 sometimes clear and sometimes very fuzzy.

But AM 1030 is always clear all the way to Maine.

AM 680 is most of times times clear (80% of the times all the way to Mane)

AM 1510 is clear maybe 40% of the times.

I'm not sure what explanation that could be but even the arfter market antennas tend to stink with the volvos.

Is it the same Antenna for FM? Because my FM stations are very clear.

Maybe it's loose?
Thanks for the input...I normally only listen to 1030 WBZ but I may try out some of the other stations. WBZ has always come in clear but the HD has been more erratic the past week or so. The few times I've checked 1260 it does not come in much at all. I do notice a lot of static on other frequencies, to the point where I can't really use the scan feature.

Could be that the crappy AM reception is a "design feature"...

Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Hammer are you in Mass?

Try AM 680 WRKO and AM 1200 Rush Radio and also AM 1510 Revolution Boston

I listen to mostly talk radio on AM but there might be others out there.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Bump old thread...had the AM unit replaced by the dealer but the reception is getting worse. Hear more static/noise on 1030 and the HD reception is getting spottier. Rear defroster didn't seem to do anything for it.

Guess I'll keep complaining to the dealer, good thing I have the 5/60K warranty.

Last edited by hammer1234; 05-23-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Default Me too, any fix yet?

Just bought an '06 S40, and didn't know about the AM radio "feature." I listen to talk radio all the time and would never have guessed this would be a problem. Was anyone able to find a fix? What about the 12V powered antenna "boosters?"

Last edited by mleuenbe; 04-15-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:33 PM
mrg

I believe the rear defroster window cable is also the radio antenna, so that's why clicking the rear defroster button helps.