Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

07 volvo s40 2.4i bearing and cv axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 volvo s40 2.4i bearing and cv axle replacement

For all those like me looking for the guy who just didi it. 10k miles ago replaced drivers side bearing with China bearing (:-(). Recently heard bearing noise again. Thought ok time for passenger side. Replaced passenger side again China. No change in horrible drive train noise. Jacked front of car up inspected cv axle and bearing. After isolating that it was on drivers side by stopping passenger side tire from spinning. Looks like its my new China bearing. Cv axle boot has been leaking for sometime so for $80 some bucks worth it while everything is apart. Remove drivers side again. Removing the bearing and CV axle is not to difficult. Bearing must be pressed out (better have an arbor press handy and some misc. blocks to get a straight press) CV axle took a little work but not to bad with some prying. I never post to these things but the next step I thought might help those doing the same in the future. Upon removing my China bearing I realized it was ruined it was dry warped just shot, BAD. Hard to believe China failed me that bad. This bearing was pressed back in carefully by the arbor press(maybe that's the problem???) This time the hub assembly after cleaned up and of course abs sensor removed was placed into the BBQ grill for 30min. The bearing went into the freezer for 30min. After bearing dropped right into assembly no pressing needed keep the bearing cool with water as it sits in the hub. After assembly has contracted cool whole assembly with water and install. Hope this helps. By the way new bearing timik aka F.A.G. cars rides great.