Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Sirius FM modulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius FM modulator

Went to bestbuy today and saw the 'Audiovox Sirius FMDA25 FM Direct Adapter ' that plugs directlyto the antenna. The tech said that this would be the best solution since my S40 doesnt really have a solution for AUX input.

He said that this FM modulator can be installed on any vehicle and it's $80 for the install. Could this be possible?

Any of you guys out there trust bestbuy?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Default Xm radio

I have istalled xm modulators in my 2003 Volvo C70 and 3 other cars and my motorcycle. I have not used this product but mine work for me.
I THINK (not sure) I get mine at Wal Mart for about $29. It takes a bit of work to set one up, you still need xm radio atenna and power.
There are some products out there that you plug into a cig . light socket and tune your radio station the a set channel, I have not used one of these in years .

Cb

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info..

Ok here's the deal, I called two bestbuys and one says this modulator cannot be installed, the other says sure it can be installed. Now im confused as to why one would say yes the other would say no.

Anyone with similar experience?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Default FM mod.

I would say stay away from them, go to a real car audio shop. Can you do simple car waring your self ?

Ok... Ebay has a mod kit ( xm modulator) for $20 . Bascily what you do is unplug the car antenna ..plug the car antenna into the xm mod plug, plug the xm mod . plug into the radio .
The one I use has a 12 volt switch to activate the modulator.
BUT....modulator use a radio station button ( somewhere around 88.3 ) some have 2 choices.
I live in the country where there are not a lot of stations...BUT.... when I go to Little Rock Arkansas they have station on that channel. Even with the radio antenna disconnect from the radio ( modualtor) , that station bleeds into that channel and I lose my XM channel. If you get the done you will be able to plug your MP3 play into the modulator.
I do most of my work myself so I hardly ever use a audio shop. I would guess the audio shop labor is around $60. So $25 for a modulator and maybe 1 hour labor. Don't forget you still need to install a antenna and power.
There are places that sell kits to hard wire you xm radio to 12 volt power .
I am not sure about the radio in your car, Cd player ?

Cb

Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM

So I go to bestbuy today looking for some things and went to the car audio section. First they are not even customer centric. There was a line and no one to take care of customers.

Then comes the car audio guy who completely ignored the paging to him via the PA and he was only one isle over chatting up the cute chick.

It gets better, I ask him about installign the modulator, he says 'No we don't do any installs on Volvo's, Audi's and Saab. Mind you that's only the sales guy. When I called the last time, I talked to the guy who actually works in the bay doing the install. He said they do it.

I said are you sure, he said yes. So there you go, bestbuy intelligence at it's best.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Cb I have a 2005 S40. How difficult would that be to do the wiring? I have basic wiring skills and I mean very basic.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM

I called a car audio place today in NH and they do the install for the AUX as well as USB. They use a Dension product. Thing is it cost $700 including install...yikes !!!

As usual I hear that Volvo is a pain to work on. I know what my next car will be..

Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Default FM mod.

I just googled " how to install a fm modulator " and there is a ton of videos and info out there. Don't get fooled by product prices, the $ 20 kit on Ebay is still the best I've seen.
I AM NOT AN EXPERT but I did install my Sony 12 cd player and Xm wiring.
When I put the cd player in the truck where Volvo installs theirs I installed a on/off switch for the antenna to stop it from going up and down when I listen to xm or cd player.
REMEMBER you still need to install the xm antenna and power. I get my power from the backseat cig. lighter socket.
Before you start try to find out what channels the modulator uses and see if you have stations in your area that use the same single. Like I said before, when I leave my town , even with the antenna wire disconnected from the antenna , the station bleeds into the xm single.
Spend some time googling the info ... I do not know how your car radio is installed, can YOU get the unit out yourself ?

Cb