Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2002 s40 exhaust camshaft seal help

Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 s40 exhaust camshaft seal help

Hi I have an 02 S40 that has been leaking oil a bit. I have fixed a couple of the leaks but there was still oil coming from the sprocket side of the engine, now it is just pouring out from what looks like underneath, behind the exhaust (front) cam sprocket (see picture)when the car is running. Since it's not the VVT cam sprocket I'm assuming only the seal needs to be replaced and not the cam, correct?
Also to replace this cam seal I was going to remove the upper cover, mark the sprockets and belt, and attempt to slowly work off the belt from the sprockets. remove the exhaust sprocket, replace seal, reinstall sprocket, and just line the marks back up with the belt.
I'm hoping I can do it this way since I'm not removing the VVT sprocket which I know has no key way. It looks like the exhaust sprocket will just line up with the 3 bolt hols as long as I keep the orientation correct.
Any help would be great, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 2002 s40 exhaust camshaft seal help-cam-sprocket.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:50 PM

That is the intake, not exhaust. Exhaust is at the back with the VVT sprocket on it.
To be honest, you'll need the cam holding tool regardless. The cams WILL try to turn on you when you remove the belt otherwise.
May as well do the timing belt, as it will be coming off anyways.
The kit I just got was under $90, and included all cam seals, water pump, tensioner and pulley. You'll need the cam plug for the other end of the cam and thats it. I just dont see locking the cams down etc and putting the old belt back on it, more so as it's been covered in oil, which will make it fail a LOT quicker than a dry belt.

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 PM

That's right it's the intake cam that is leaking. The timing belt, water pump and exhaust cam and seal were just done a few years ago, that's why I was hoping to be able to reuse the belt and not have to remove everything. Maybe just spray it all down with brake spray?
I know I can jam the exhaust cam in place and then I would just have to be able to turn the intake cam sprocket with a screw driver to line back up.
I guess with the oil on the belt I may just have to do this the hard way though.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:42 PM

Your initial post says "behind the exhaust (front) cam sprocket " Thus the correction.
Jam the exhaust cam in place? Hmm Ok...
The whole kit is under $90. If you buy the right tool, thats another $65
Is it worth potentially junking the motor for $155? I dont think so myself.
If you just replaced the belt itself, and made the cam holding tool, you'd be in it for @$50.
I just don't see the logic of reusing a belt that got soaked in oil, and jamming stuff in place to lock a camshaft, risking damage etc.

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 04:52 PM

I've seen a guy use a screw driver to hold the cams in place, not the best idea but it worked. Being that the belt got soaked I will just get the kit & cam holder tool to do this the right way.
Where did you get your kit? I wasn't sure if I should only use OEM parts or not?

Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Got it, and most other parts, from Ebay. The cam tool is from there too, but I ended up making my own instead of waiting for the tool to arrive.
Make sure the belt is a name brand though, better safe than sorry.
Picture of the tool I made in my thread, near the bottom of this page
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t-86466/page2/
I say do all the seals etc at the same time.

Martin

Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 PM

Ordered a good kit off ebay, thanks

I was thinking to replace the crank/oil pump seal also since I'm in there, do you know if it's a pain in the **** to pull the oil pump off to replace that seal?

Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzman
Ordered a good kit off ebay, thanks

I was thinking to replace the crank/oil pump seal also since I'm in there, do you know if it's a pain in the **** to pull the oil pump off to replace that seal?
Hey grizz - I replied to the email you sent a couple of days ago. It looks like LHT and company are giving you good advice so I think you are all set. Check your junk mail folder. I would not bother with the oil pump and gasket but having read the instructions previously it sounds pretty straightforward.