Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 s40 Stuck on AC, will not redirect air

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 s40 Stuck on AC, will not redirect air

I'm about to lose my mind over this problem, maybe someone can help me figure out what's wrong...

For starters I have a 2005 S40 2.4i, with pretty much no extra options (no sunroof, seat heater, CD changer, etc.)

About a year and a half ago, the Heat stopped working. The air can also not be redirected - it blows only out of the dash air vents. The AC still blows ice cold, and I can still adjust how hard it blows, but I can't make it switch to heat, or blow from the defroster or foot vents.

When I turn the temperature **** it shows the temperature going up on the display, but it still stays on full AC. Also if I redirect where the air is supposed to come out of it shows it being changed on the display, but there's no actual change - it keeps coming from only the dash vents.

I took it to the dealer, and even they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, other than telling me it had a ton of codes pop up. They said it MIGHT be the Climate Control Module. I have 2 spares that I tried putting in, and neither one fixes it. I also tried changing the display module, and it still doesn't change anything.

I really can't think of anything else it would be, except for the whole Climate Unit assembly having a problem. It seems like it still works, but it just isn't getting the message from the CCM to switch from AC to heat and change where the air blows from. Anyone who has any ideas on what the problem could be I'd love to hear them. I'm about ready to try anything at this point.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is one on resetting the damper motor:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=8&t=34858

Here is replacing:
Write Up: Glove Box Removal For Recirculation Damper Motor Replacement

Here is the arm fix:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fix...-motorarm.html

I've never had to fight this issue so no actual personal help here. Tell us what you find.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem- Need Ideas of where to go next

I have the exact same problem only my volvo s40 is stuck on high heat instead of A/C. After paying for a diagnostic and wire trace ($500) I was told the vehicle needs a new ccm and a new housing unit to prevent the ccm from shorting out again (Quoted $3,000). So I bought two separate used ccm's online and put them in the car and they did no better than the one they claim is broken. I can still control the blower, but cannot control the heat setting so heat continues to ooze out of the front vents making summer days very unpleasant. Did you ever find out what was wrong? I'm worried that if I have them proceed with the $3,000 repair it may not fix the problem.