Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

HELP!! Newbie here and very new at fixing my own

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Newbie here and very new at fixing my own

So my 21 yr old daughter bought an 08 S40 no turbo. Driving it home after about 20 miles it died on the freeway, smoke from engine. When I got there I found a leak in the reservoir,so very low coolant and about 2 1/2 quarts low oil. It cranked and runs but pretty bad knock. Not a tick it's definitely a knock. Going to attempt a compression test tom. But to be honest not sure if I should even bother. Am I fooling myself thinking there is a possibility it's just damaged or Burt valves and not needing a complete rebuild?

Old 10-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Unfortunately that is one of the Volvos that does not have a coolant coolant warning system - Not a problem for X years or so until the rubber or plastic cooling system parts start failing - (leaking hose, cracked reservoir, water pump, etc.)

Loud knock is usually not a good sign.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well If I am not mistaked quart is basicaly one liter the full capacity of oil is around 5 l so it was half full ! , so it died due to poor maintanance , oil leaked out and now the engine is gone bearings are gone perhaps rings etc , not worth fixing in my opinion , quite sad , needs new engine or rebuild , cant help with price as I am in RSA but perhaps a scrap yard with a used motor ? If the coolant drops but still some in the expasion tank would of not coused this but that needs fixing , we have replaces our coolant tank one in 16 years , when drive a 10 year+ car you need to check it daily and many things fail with time , that is normal so perhaps not the best car for a young lady
Many people thing a volvo is a safe car and yes the new ones are great but a 10 year+ car its way past its best there is no way to check the safety systems Volvo had a time period on their air bags , was 15 years and then they withdrew it stating if maintained by Volvo its for life how many 10 + year old Volvos get services by the dealer

Last edited by richardkonrad; 10-22-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank guys. I new I was dreaming the moment I heard it crank. I think I am gonna try to but her S40 somewhere and save up the 2000+ to replace the engine as the punk who sold it to her won't return any of her money. I personally checked fluids before she drove so he sold it to her knowing it was leaking badly. Anyway thank you all for the confirmation.