Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 FWD engine losing power/acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres the fix!

For all of u guys who still have this hesitation and loss of power problem, here is the fix u need. If ur getting a fuel pressure sensor signal too high/low code. These cars dont have a fuel pressure regulator. Instead they have a fuel pressure sensor which tells the fuel pump module what the fuel pressure is at any given time. The fuel pump module then takes that information and uses that along with engine load and chnges the voltage to the fuel pump to feed the engine the right amount of volume and pressure for what the engine requires at the moment. When the fuel pressure sensor goes faulty then it sends incorrect signals to the file pump module and incorrect fuel volume and pressure is given to the engine causing hesitation and loss of power. The fix is very simple. All u need to do is replace the fuel pressure sensor that's located on the fuel rail. And then reset the adaptations. Sorry that u guys have been taking ur cars to dumb *** dealers that dont know how to fix anything. I am an ASE certified Volvo tech. This is a very common problem with a very easy fix.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Default Could be one of two issues...

Seems like it's been a while since anyone has written about this issue. My '05 T5 had the same hesitation problem at 105k miles on the clock, but refused to spit out an error code. And naturally, the car behaved beautifully every time the dealer tech took it for a ride. Based on what I read in this forum thread and others, I took a chance at changing the fuel pressure sensor. This will sound familiar: dealer wanted $250 for the part plus the $95/hr (only 1hr needed) labor. I found the part on Amazon.com for $57 including overnight delivery. The part turned out to be a genuine Bosch part, and the dealer quite happily put the part in for me. I also happened to have a $61 coupon for tech services at the dealer so the gamble was less than $100. It paid off. The car runs better than it did before the swap (likely a gradual deterioration), and it hasn't been stuttering or hesitating at all since.

Note that these symptoms can also be caused by the pump electronic module (PEM), which for my particular VIN has an extended warranty until May 2015. If the PEM is failing, it too can cause similar issues to the FPS, but is a much more involved repair. Have your mechanic check the PEM for corrosion, but go ahead with the FPS replacement.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Default 2005 s40 t5 pem

I recently purchased a new pump electronic module. The old one is located by the rear tire and I would like to relocate under the back seat. Do I have to remove the old one for this to be done?

Old 10-24-2021, 10:07 AM
Default High rpms with slow accelation. Hard to get ubove 40mph

[I was wondering if this is the same issue you were having. We got my daughter an 05 volvo s40 t5 for her first car. Things have ok. Door seal leaks were the main issue till now. Just bought a few months go. It started sucking gas to the point we thought someone was stealing her has, but it wasn't that. We changed spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and it started to get better gas mileage. But now it seems very sluggish taking off from stop. The car sounds amazing but with little power. When trying to even get up to 20 mph, the rpms go over 4000 and keep going up. You can put the pedal to the floor and still not speed up, just the rpms keep going up. Please help

QUOTE=T5_AWD_05;229496]Finally got this issue resolved a month ago at a dealership in St. Louis. It ended up being a fuel sensor that was causing the hesitation/loss of power. They also found a manafold pipe that had rotted out that they thought was contributing to the issue but it still had cut out and loss power after they fixed the pipe just sounded a little better. Once the fuel sensor came in and was replaced the car has ran great. If you want to know the exact sensor ill try to look it up on the invoice. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Default Same isse

[

What what the issue with the turbo?QUOTE=cjnystrom;240398]the problem was with the turbo, and it was a quite easy fix even though I had to wait a couple of days for the part.[/QUOTE]
e