Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 s40 Ignition / Steering Problems

Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 s40 Ignition / Steering Problems

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a situation with my car, so thanks in advance for any help! It's a 2006 s40 and yesterday it would not start. When turning the key to position 1 and 2, everything was fine (dash lit up, lights / windows worked, etc). When I turned to position 3 nothing would happen (no noise, no clicking). I was in a bind so I had the garage across the street take a look at it and after ruling out the battery, they said the ignition switch needed to be replaced, so I had them go ahead and do that.

I picked up the car today and the it starts fine. But, I noticed two new things. First, there is no resistance when turning the key from position 2 to 3 (it feels exactly as easy as when turning from position 1 to 2, but it's never been that easy that when going from 2 to 3). Second, with the car off and key out of the ignition, I am able to turn the steering wheel several inches in either direction (again before the repair my steering wheel wouldn't budge when the key was out). The guys at the garage said this is normal, but I'm not sure I trust that.

What do you think, are either of these new things an issue? From the research I've done, it sounds like getting to the ignition switch on my car is a bit involved. I'm really concerned that while replacing the ignition switch, they may not have re-installed everything properly or that they created an issue with / damaged my car's steering. I really appreciate any opinions anyone has.

Last edited by Referee3083; 02-05-2016 at 05:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had to replace the ignition switch in my 2005. It was similar to what you describe, turn the key and nothing happens at position 3. Sometimes you could turn it back and forth a couple of times and it would finally crank.

It is a PITA to remove and it's designed that way. Imagine if anyone could easily remove and replace it. Thieves would love Volvo.

Instead of removing the dash to get mine out I opted to cut some of the plastic holding the switch from dropping out of the enclosed space behind the dash. The down side is that the lower kick panel is now loose on one side due to the missing anchor point.