Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 Volvo s40 t5 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Volvo s40 t5 wont start

Hello, Hopefully this will help me figure out what exactly is wrong with my car. And easiest cheapest way to fix it.
Anyways this car has had multiple problems since I got it. I had to get the accelerator peddle replaced twice. The car would let me press the peddle but nothing would happen this happened twice. I was able to turn off side of the road turn the car off and turn back on it was fine. Had the sensor replaced by Volvo , the min I got it back it was doing the same thing. So they took it back had it for 2 weeks to fix the same part. After that it was fine. I also had electrical problems with the alarm going off whenever id get close to the car with my key, or just random. About 2 months after I got the peddle fixed it was still running a little weird wasn't getting enough power almost. In November I was driving and I was on my way to get oil to do an oil change. I was running low but I did put 2-3 quarts in before I was going to change it. I was driving and the peddle went out and all the lights on the dash came on. I though it was the peddle sensor again so since I couldn't press the peddle and have the car move I went to the side of the road to turn it off for a min, When I tried to turn it on nothing happened. No lights, No turn over, No clicking nothing. Had to tow it home even took the terminal off the battery let it sit ther for 10 min put in back on and still nothing. Jumped it got the battery working and the lights but still no turn over. Still no clicking. Took it to Volvo they wanted 1k to tear into the engine to see exactly what was wrong. Didn't have the money. They said more than likely a tie rod bent in one of the cylinders and seized up the crank shaft. They said I would need a new engine 8k. Please help

Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

not sure how the electrical issues with the pedal relates to the no start. Usually no clicking suggests bad cable/fuse, bad starter, bad ignition switch or a bad PNP sensor (the shifter position sensor). Personally I've never heard of a mechanic asking for $1000 to "see exactly what was wrong". Its pretty easy to see if an engine is seized. 1) remove the timing belt cover and see if the belt is still tight 2) remove all the spark plugs 3) remove the front passenger wheel, fold back the trap door to the engine and use a socket wrench to turn the engine by hand. If you can't turn it over by hand with the plugs out, or if it goes part way then hits something, you probably lost your timing belt and are looking at an engine rebuild or an engine swap. Used engines can be priced via car-parts.com and you can find a local volvo friendly mechanic to estimate the hours. If they suspect a connecting rod is bad, they can drop the oil pan to look but if its so bad to ruin the crank, it's time to replace the engine. That said, if as you explained you pulled over and turned off the key and couldn't get it to restart doesn't sound like you seized the engine - it sounds like you have electrical issues (alternator/cables/battery)...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, sounds electrical. I'd start with battery voltage checks and continuity checks. It could be as simple as a loose battery connection. This car absolutely must have proper voltage to function correctly.