Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Is a 2007 S40 2.4i worth my time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 2007 S40 2.4i worth my time?

So I am in the market for a second car for the commute to work (15 miles) and around town. Not looking for a family sedan, but the one child with their child seat could be in the back from time to time.

All of my vehicles I have gotten because they needed some work. Some how on my searching I came across a 2007 S40 2.4i that was from Florida originally but had been moved up to New England two years ago and then the engine went in it. And it has been sitting for a year now. The guy just really wants to get rid of it.

The exterior looks fine. The interior looks dusty and could use a hefty cleaning. It will need brakes and rotors, and tires all around. Who knows what else. I have found some engines hear and there for around $1000.

My question is, regardless of what he is asking for the car, is this even worth my time? Or am I better off not bothering? I have done plenty of engine swaps and rebuilds and tranny swaps etc etc etc. But I do not want to get in over my head. I estimate it will cost around $2000 just to get this thing back on the road without any other surprises.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:47 AM
Default Hello,

Hello DefStatic, welcome to the forum.

I think it'd be more helpful if you try to be specific; what you think important, what you don't care. There are just too many options and variables, as you might already know

Well, if you're asking about personal experience, I'm the right one having the car. Used, 2007 2.4i, 60000 miles when I bought it.

I'm completely happy with this car. Doing some basic maintenances myself. Very clean and simple interior. The only concern the one might have is that its torque is not huge unlike turbo models. I live in a country people always in hurry to somewhere, haha. I feel like I'm the high king on the road having the horn givers on my back.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the response. I honestly think the car would be fine for me as far as driving. If I want something with more HP and TQ, I would get something with a turbo or a V8. Quite honestly the 160ish HP provided by the 5cyl is fine by me. My Mazda 6i has around that HP and I feel it is just the right amount. I hear the back seats are a bit cramped, but I am not a taxi, nor do I plan to engage in relations in my backseat, so this does not bother me either :-p

I am more concerned about whether or not if I purchased such a vehicle, and replaced the engine, am I biting off more than I can chew?

And I also was not aware of any kind of known issues. Like for instance when I purchased my Saturn with a blown transmission, I knew why the transmission blew, and how to avoid it or remedy it from happening again. I am hoping the Volvo I am looking at with the blown engine malfunction was user neglect, not a common issue.

But yeah, so those types of things. As far as the car goes itself, I think I would be more than happy with how it drives and feels. I also hear Volvos are known for being excellent winter cars, even without AWD, and seem to be able to survive the elements better than other cars.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM

With an 8 yr. old car, it is kind of up to your detective sense about what to look out for. If the engine was blown, that points to some major abuse - either skipped maintenance or hot-rodding. You'll need to do the same sleuthing on the replacement engine.

Also, are you planning on doing the wrenching? Swapping engines is a big job, but paying someone else to do it will add a lot of cost. Assuming purely mechanical repairs, I would expect $2000 for the engine and another $1000 for tires & general lapsed maintenance. If electrical modules need to be replaced, you MUST have a dealer do it ($$$).

As to systemic problems, AFIK, the P1 Volvos have two challenges: a massively interdependent electrical system (any corrosion?) and a sunroof drain system that is prone to leakage (which can introduce corrosion).

Last edited by mf70; 10-17-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info. It is a risk either way but with somecars it is more of a risk than others. Not knowing a think about Volvos makes it harder.

My best guess at this point is maintenance neglect. But then comes the other problem of the replacement engine. Seems like typically they ru for arou d $2000 but I did find one for $1000. But either way it would need to be shipped. And that does not thrill me.

That is funny about the sun roof too, my first Saturn had the same common issue and that worries me because it has been sitting for a year.

I estimate with what they are asking this project would run about $5000. Which is well under the value.

But you also bring up some other points. I have done plenty of engine replacements or swaps, but never on a volvo. How difficult is it compared to other vehicles? What sort of electrical module problems could I run into that would require I visit the dealer?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM

I have no opinion on the engine swap question, since I, thankfully, have no experience. All 21st century cars are controlled by microprocessors. Volvo's have up to 15, using three interconnecting networks. They generally are very reliable, but careless battery jumping (perhaps connecting jumper cables from a running car, etc..) can blow circuitry. Any microprocessor replacement will probably require a visit to the dealer to get "blessed."

Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just swapping an engine will not require any programming assuming you use the same engine and keep the original ECM.

And connecting jumper cables from a running car will hurt nothing, provided correct polarity is observed.