Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2007 s40 motor issue need help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 s40 motor issue need help please

My daughter was driving the car last night and said she went to pass a car stepped on the gas and the car lost power. When she got the car stopped there was oil all over the motor. When I got there and tried to turn the motor over it makes a noise that almost sounds like a starter just spinning and the motor does not turn over at all. After looking today there is a belt missing. I have had the car towed to a shop and am waiting impatiently for the results. Does anyone have an idea what may have happened? My first thought is that the belt broke hit a oil line and causing the problem. However,the car not turning over at all and making that wierd noise has me confused. I am not a mechanic and just want some ideas of what it may be. Could a belt stop the motor from turning over or is it most likely the motor? Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on which belt we are talking about. There are two belts that run the accessories like the alternator and air conditioning compressor. Then there is the big timing belt. The oil all over the motor and the noise of the starter spinning but the engine not turning over suggests a worst case scenario where the timing belt breaks and it bends the valves in the head. The bent valves mean the engine cannot make compression and just spins freely like it would if you removed all the spark plugs. The test is a compression check. However, I can tell you from personal experience that IF the timing belt broke, the engine is damaged.

Let us hope it's something less catastrophic like the power steering hose busted and it shorted out the fuel pump fuse. Anything but a broken timing belt.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am fearing the worst. Any advice on where to go from here? Is the car worth fixing or should I just sell it for what I can? How much would a motor cost to be installed?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:33 PM

That is a tough question. It depends on your situation, how much money you have in the car, how much your daughter wants to keep it, etc.

For me it's easy. Assuming the worst: I'd take it apart and replace the bent valves, put it back together. Cost is my time plus valves and gaskets. When my 2001 did this it cost about $500 in parts and tools.

If you want to keep the car I'd get a junkyard engine and have someone you trust put it in. A rebuilt engine is a more expensive option usually. If you don't have a trusted mechanic then it gets to be a much harder decision. Shop time is expensive and a good mechanic is too. You will want a warranty of some type.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Forgot to add: My daughter is crying for a newer car over the 2001 I gave her. If yours is like mine she will make a case for this being the perfect time to upgrade her to something much more expensive. Good luck.