Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

4-Pin vs 5-Pin Headlight Units - 2000 Volvo S40

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Location: Between Mosselbay, Western Cape and Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Pin vs 5-Pin Headlight Units - 2000 Volvo S40

Hi all, hope all is well.

I've got a fairly simple question, so hopefully it has a simple answer.

I hit a baby buck on the highway a month or so back, resulting in damage to a headlight and corner light unit. I've been able to source the corner light, no hassle, but the parts stores seem to be struggling to figure out which headlight will work on my car. The difference seems to be twofold, firstly that they all have units with 4-pin connectors, and secondly, they don't know whether there's a difference between the unit for the pre-facelift model and the facelift model, which is the model I own, since my existing unit has 5 pins.

Now, I've got electronic beam adjustment in-car, so I'm guessing pin number 5 would be the power supply for that adjustment motor, but my question is: will a 4 pin unit work in my car? I'm not to phased about the ability to adjust my beam, so if it has to fall away then so be it, because I realized after doing some research that there are headlight units with and without the electronic beam adjustment feature that would physically fit into the space, no hassles, but will I actually be able to connect it without shorting anything out or breaking something or blowing my car up??

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll be hitting some scrapyards today in the hope that I can come up with a suitable replacement. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

It sounds like you have the single headlamp model headlight? (most US models came with two bulbs - one for low one for high). Two thoughts - do you really need to replace the whole bucket or just the lense? Check out the diagrams on Shop OEM Volvo parts & accessories ? Volvo Parts Warehouse (I saw the two headlight options looking for the 2.0T model - not the 1.9T common in the US). You can buy a whole bucket for about $225 or just the lense...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:52 PM
Location: Between Mosselbay, Western Cape and Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
It sounds like you have the single headlamp model headlight? (most US models came with two bulbs - one for low one for high). Two thoughts - do you really need to replace the whole bucket or just the lense? Check out the diagrams on Shop OEM Volvo parts & accessories ? Volvo Parts Warehouse (I saw the two headlight options looking for the 2.0T model - not the 1.9T common in the US). You can buy a whole bucket for about $225 or just the lense...
Thanks for the reply mt, much appreciated.

Firstly, allow me to apologize; I switched the amount of pins around. I've got the 4-pin unit, not the 5-pin unit as originally stated, so it's the dual lamp setup as you've mentioned here.

The unit itself is fairly intact. The internal chrome reflector inside is a little loose, but that I can 'McGuyver' back into a fixed position. I was thinking about just replacing the lens, but didn't think that they would be available locally, and to be honest, no-one in my country seems to have the unit available for my particular model, or the lens for that matter, apart from Volvo themselves, and I honestly don't feel like getting a new hole ripped into my wallet!

However, yesterday I did my rounds to all the scrapyards as we call them here and came across a V40, but with the single lamp unit. My question to you is this: would it be possible for me to transplant the lens from the V40's unit to mine, because the shapes seem to be identical, and if so, how much of an 'operation' would it be? Are these things glued fast, or is it simply a matter of loosening a view clips/screws and then swapping out the lens? If it's doable then I'm gonna pick up that unit and do the transplant. Of course they won't sell me just the lens, but that's to be expected.

Thanks a lot for your reply, much appreciated!

Last edited by VanBessinger; 06-13-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The lens is simply held on by a set of snap-on metal clips with a rubber gasket to the bucket. While the lens from the single bulb unit may fit, you can't use it as the "lens" is designed to refract the bulb's light as a single point source vs the dual point source from the two bulb models. You may want to shop some web stores to see if they will ship to SA - the part goes for $35-40 US.