Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Cam alignment and tool 999-5452

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam alignment and tool 999-5452

Hello, new to the forum here, thanks for all the info and help I've received already.

I am an ASE Master Tech and have done scores of T-belts and cam seals, but always on Asian or American stuff, so imagine my surprise when I whipped off the cam pulleys like I have done dozens of times, and found that there is no key to align the pulley when you put it back together.

I've read everything I can find on this, but I still have a couple of things I don't understand. I never work on these cars, and am only doing it because it is a friend, but now I've got to get it back together.

Here's where I'm at:
I did not buy tool 999-5452, but I do have the notches in the back of the cams aligned with the seam between the head and cam cover. They are perfectly aligned.
Also I installed the pulleys and aligned their notches with the notches in the t-belt cover. I do not understand why this won't work. I did not loosen the small bolts that hold the t-belt sprocket to the vvt unit. I only loosened the center bolt on the vvt.
I am confident that with a spanner wrench holding the pulley that I can torque the center bolt, but the book describes a process of turning the vvt unit one way and then the other, but I don't really see what they are turning. I took the unit off with pulley and vvt together, and don't see what turns unless I take it further apart.
If I have the notches in the back of the cams in line, and the notches all on their marks on the t-belt end, am I good? Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for the help,
Gary

Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it!!! even without the tool.

Turns out the S40's don't have an adjustable vvt pulley. That's what it looked like to me, but I verified with a volvo tech.

Lined up the back of the cams, and VERY CAREFULLY tightened the gears. Held cam gear with generic holding tool and torqued. Rechecked alignment on back of cams and marks on front and everything was perfect, put it together, runs like a champ.

Those notches in the back of the cams line up with the top of the head. You do not have to have tool 999-5452, you just have to be very careful.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The S40 VVT pulley locks once the timing belt is removed.