Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Center Console Controls Inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Controls Inoperative

I have a 2005 S40 and the controls on the center console quit working today. The display still displays the radio station and the steering wheel controls still work as far as volume and changing the preset stations. None of the controls on the center console work including climate control. I checked all fuses seemingly related to the stereo and climate controls and everything looks good. Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe there is an electrical plug on the back side of the waterfall display. Don't know if it could come loose though. The radio display has it's own connection. It's been awhile since I had it all apart but I believe you can remove the back panel to access the back side of the waterfall display.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply Hudini. Since my original post I found a video that showed how to take the console apart so I did do that. Pretty easy but unplugging and plugging back in did not resolve the problem. I also inspected EVERY fuse in the passenger compartment and under the hood.

Further research on this site suggests the thermister that senses passenger cabin temp may be bad but the posts were for older models that appeared to have a thermister that was separate from the circuit board that contains all the controls and for them it was easily replaced by soldering a new one in.

I'll probably see if I can find a used panel somewhere and try that. New ones online are going for over $600 and I'm sure the dealer would be even more. Friggin' cars.......

Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM

DiCE / VIDA would probably also give you some insight. It will pay for itself in the first repair you do with it.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_Park
Thanks for the reply Hudini. Since my original post I found a video that showed how to take the console apart so I did do that. Pretty easy but unplugging and plugging back in did not resolve the problem. I also inspected EVERY fuse in the passenger compartment and under the hood.

Further research on this site suggests the thermister that senses passenger cabin temp may be bad but the posts were for older models that appeared to have a thermister that was separate from the circuit board that contains all the controls and for them it was easily replaced by soldering a new one in.

I'll probably see if I can find a used panel somewhere and try that. New ones online are going for over $600 and I'm sure the dealer would be even more. Friggin' cars.......
did you ever figure this out? I’m currently having this same issue