Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

check engine light-2000 s40

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light-2000 s40

122,000 miles, well maintained, but the Check Engine light has come on a month ago, and four codes have caused a FAIL on my smog test.

P0014
P0015
P0101
P0107

Just cleaned the MAF @ 1 year ago, and only drive her 5,000 miles a year.

Seems to have developed sluggish performance which coincided with the CEL appearance. New timing belt, water pump, oil passages cleaned, new camshaft gear/plug,adj. solenoid/ seals done by trusted mechanic at 102,000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

read through this thread on the P0014 and P0015 codes. they point to the VVT not working properly, possibly due to oil sludge build up.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...lvo-s40-47208/

The P0101 code can point to their the MAF (airflow sensor) or the MAP (air pressure sensor)

The P0107 points to the MAP sensor, so I'd start with looking at that as a probable cause.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 AM

I had the P0107 Code on my 2001 s40. I replaced the map sensor on the radiator I believe and noticed a significant gain in power, I then realized there were two, the other located on the intake manifold. Once I replaced the 2nd one I noticed an even more significant boost in power.

Hope it helps!!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

good point, CD, I forgot to mention that there are two MAP sensors on the S40!!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the input!

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the damn VVT is????

Also.....one thing is driving me to madness! I was doing a visual inspection and noticed that below much of the plumbing towards the rear of the engine is a half inch diameter tube....the ending of it it shaped as if a hose is supposed to be attached (nipple)....then I remembered that I have been working at a construction site whose rocky entrance would shame a Third World Country. By the coloration, I am guessing that it is made of brass. Driving a 17 year old Volvo onto such a property could be considered "Elder Abuse" here in Northern California....so I am praying that I can just restore her without putting my local Volvo mechanic's daughter through College.

Damned if I did'nt get a little attached to my s40. Thanks a million for ANY input you guys offer. IMO, the new cars kinda SUCK!

Old 04-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

VVT = Variable Valve Timing. It's a marketing term as other makers have different names such as Honda's V-Tech. On the 2000-2004 1.9L Volvo engine it consists of a VVT gear on the exhaust cam and a VVT solenoid to direct oil to the VVT cam gear. Related parts are the Cam Position Sensor. Basically, the car's computer tells the VVT solenoid how much oil to send to the VVT gear on the cam in order to advance or retard the cam for best power or economy depending on the situation. The CPS detects the cam position and compares it to the Crank Position Sensor information to determine if the requested cam position equals what was demanded by the computer.

On the back side of the engine is a block drain that has no connection.

The VVT gear is on the left in this picture. The VVT solenoid is the cylindrical shaped piece just behind the VVT gear.
Name:  volvo2_zpsd6535d2e.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  69.2 KB

Solenoid looking at the oil passages:

Name:  CRV_zps133da348.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  7.7 KB

Old 05-07-2017, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the pics. The CVVT solenoid was easy to pull from the engine. Four 8mm bolts. Resistance measures 8.1 Ohms, and there was continuity between the male prongs in the connector.

I applied 12 VDC (ie. 12 volts, DC current) and the solenoid clicked, but was sluggish. Removing the solenoid guts required a "c" clip removal tool, and I soaked it in solvent to clean it. Re-assembled and shook it. A functional solenoid will make a clacking sound.

Reinstalled it, hoping to clear the CEL, but no joy. Back to the mechanic I guess.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 AM

One of my DTC's referred to a malfunctioning MAF. So tonight I went on YouTube and a guy said that if you disconnect the MAF sensor while the car is running (at idle) and the engine continues to run, your MAF is defective. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

They have them on eBay for @ $25. USD. I removed mine and the car kept running. I just cleaned it last week, so dirt is not the problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read something interesting regarding cheap MAFs. The sensors are manufactured by the BOSCH company and tested at the car manufacturers.
All MAFs that don't pass the tests are returned back to BOSCH who sells them to the el-cheapo MAF manufacturers.
The author of this article claims that what you're buying for 25 bucks is a rejected MAF.
No wonder why so many people report that their cheap MAFs are faulty right out of the box.

Last edited by emtor; 05-07-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

And this car has 2 MAP sensors also. Maybe a fail safe check against a faulty MAF? Never understood how a car can have both a MAF and a MAP.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Bro Hudini....Totally agree! Wealthy people don't care....they just fork over thousands to the stealership and move on. People with an IQ under 170 say hey! I don't want to drive an auto that will bankrupt me by trying to keep a 17yr old car viable. Sweden is not Germany (best manufacturers of EVERYTHING), and IMO, nowhere near JAPAN in durability...(My Datsun 200SX run to 200,000 miles with only an alternator to replace).

Hudini....I have followed you for years...and you are a valued TRUE BELIEVER who has attempted to help many Volvo Owners solve their problems. In my Bible...I am upgrading you to Saint Hudini! Pope's approval pending. Jehovah's approval GRANTED!

I knew this Volvo was not gonna age well when I had to pull the ECU and r/r a 5 pin relay just to restore a headlight four years ago. AND the info I relied upon came from a Brit Forum!

Someone is gonna figure this stupid MAF/MAP hoax out. There probably is a STUPID relationship btwn. the MAP and the MAF....but no doubt...the Brits have probably figured it out first.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

not sure of the confusion between a MAP and a MAF. MAPs measure air pressure (density), MAFs measure airflow (ie volume). You need both inputs to properly calculate the air to fuel mix. Even older systems like K-Jet had both a MAP (barometric/altimeter etc by other names) and a MAF (yep that weird movable plate). What the fault codes can tell you are 1) is the signal "in range" (ie shorts or open circuits ) 2) can the feedback system accomodate from the input (ie if the O2 sensor goes full on did that bring the mixture into the zone) 3) if the input from the various sensors agree with the expected value based on other inputs. For this reason a fault code may have a diagnosis tree based on the codes produced. What the forum can tell you is short cuts - ie suggesting the most probable cause based on a user's experience but that isn't a guarantee where a factory trained tech with better tools can test out more conditions before replacing a given part.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom which is much appreciated. A forum for enthusiasts is also valuable to share real world experiences whether the problem(s) were solved by the owner, dealership, or independent garage.

I agree that you get what you pay for. Skilled labor isn't cheap---and cheap labor isn't skilled. I took my s40 to my trusted mechanic at 102k for a timing belt r/r and he failed to lock the cams. CEL on. Took him a week to fix it. I paid top dollar and he still lost money because of the labor it took to fix. He had the tool in his shop, but admitted he could not find it. So the idiot took a short cut....now I will buy a new Toyota before I ever trust him with my business.

Sensors fail. I get that. My gripe is that the diagnostic tree remains in the hands of indie garages that still FAIL to fix problems without milking the customer due to either deceit (GOD will punish them for that)....or the all too common INCOMPETENCE endemic to the auto repair industry. VOLVO...a Swedish manufacturer that was bought by FORD (received a USA GOVERNMENT BAILOUT JUST TO SURVIVE) , then sold to the CHINESE.

IMO...Volvo is destined to go the way of SAAB. Soon to be gone, soon to be forgotten. RIP, suckers.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Disconnecting a MAF is not a test for whether it is good or not. I wouldn't trust a $25 MAF either.

There is no need to lock the cams to replace the timing belt. So your mechanic didn't take a shortcut.

And I doubt Volvo is going the way of Saab.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

+1 on the doubt of Volvo going the way of Saab. Besides, when it comes to the architecture of the emissions and fuel metering systems in Volvos is shared across many manufacturers. Yes a Toyota has a MAP and a MAF and variable valve timing systems. Yes BMWs also use Bosch for OEM parts and so on. Yes any mechanic can miss some clues and not get the fix correct the first time but there's more an more information online as to factory procedures etc so it sounds you got snakebit but that's more the exception and not related to having a Volvo.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 AM

347 views of my post. 347!

Before I became an American Union Electrician, I was an American Union Lithographer...before the Internet decimated the Printing Industry. The machines I operated billed at @ $300-$500. USD per hour in the early-to-late 1980's....so I think that I know a little something about trends, and specific manufacturers ability to deliver quality and reliability. First, the Americans disappeared. Buh bye Harris! Then...Heidelberg (German) and Komori (Japanese) and Man/Rolland (German) dominated...the only Swedish printing press mfr. was Solna...and it was a joke!

The few remaining players in the Printing Industry are making bank---and almost all their equipment is German. Crow all you want about my getting snakebit (I have no doubt that my 2.3 million USD net worth exceeds yours) but that truth is this. I have looked at other users ****ty experiences and am determining that the pathetic SWEDES who sold out to FORD and now to CHINA are due to extinction...and rightly so. So...I politely say to you...GFY.

Btw....I just happen to work currently at the anti-Christ (FACEBOOK) in Menlo Park....I have noticed a total lack of Volvos in their parking lots. EXPLAIN!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, because printing presses and cars are the same.

Volvo isn't going anywhere. They are still made in Sweden (and soon to be the US as well)

So you used a combination of your net worth and reading people complain on the internet to conclude Volvo is done? Guess what... The internet is full of complainers (look at your posts). Search for "Common Mercedes problems" and you'll find they have their issues too. All cars do.

Bragging about your net worth is totally irrelevant. It certainly does not correlate to knowledge. Use some of it and buy a new car, something besides a generic scanner, a professional diagnosis or at least spring for a quality MAF.

And yes...GFY, too.

Last edited by ES6T; 05-11-2017 at 07:10 PM.