Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Crazy Wipers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Wipers!

I replaced wipers motor one month ago : the wipers started running at the fastest speed, even with ignition and everything off. I could only stop them by removing fuse. Now the same happended: start fast, couldn't stop, and motor does'nt work anymore, even with fuse . Probably there is a failure causing motor to get crazy... anybody had experience with this?
Thank you in advance!
Volvo S40 year 2005/2006

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM

i havent had that problem yet. i just left a post about my AC and Radio not working. but it does sound like a short in the wires. thats the only thing i could think of.are you under warrnty? if so, better take it in ASAP

Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 AM

NO warranty....
I remember two days before the first failure I had left the driver's door open all night and it rain. Get wet inside left door (around window's switches) and on ground...

Old 02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would check the motor sounds like it might be bad.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Unhappy

I just experienced the same exact problem on my ’06 S40... I started my car and my wipers immediately turned on as if the switch was on the fast setting. They wouldn’t turn off either, even with the car off and the key out of the ignition. There was a couple of times they seemed to turn off for just a second or two but then were right back on full blast. They also went through a phase were they were acting like the switch was on the intermittent setting where they would stay down for about a second and then make one fast pass as if they were on high again. They must have done that about 20 times before going back to non-stop on high again. It didn’t matter what setting I put them on, the only thing I could do with the switch was make the washer fluid spray. I pulled the fuse out to stop mine as well. Tried putting it back in today and have no operation at all except for the washer sprayer. Let me know if you find anything out. I won’t be able to make it to my dealer until next week sometime!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 AM

It is exactly what happened on my wipers: volvo service quoted about 400 Euros to repair it. I was lucky to find a smashed car with a working wipers motor. After its replacement (i did it!) everything was ok. But it WAS ok.
Now I suspect a kind of humidity in the cable routing...

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM

I visited the dealer today and they informed me that it is my motor too. None in stock and they are on back order. It is still on warranty but I won't see a replacement until next Tuesday at the earliest.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Smile

I hope It does not rain...good for you to be on warranty! Please ask the service man why the motor has blown out! Thanks in adv

Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem too. I found out why mines were acting crazy. I had aftermarket HIDS on my car and it blew out my wiper motor 3 times. LOL. So if you had HIDS on your car thats the reason why. Because the HIDS were connected through the CEM. And it would give and unstable voltage reading and just fry the wiper motor for some reason. If you do have HIDS you have to connect directly to your battery and have nothing to do with the cem. I had no time to play around with this . So i just removed my HIDS and left it stock. I have no wiper problems now!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Default same thing happened to me

I installed my HIDs and the same thing happened. My HIDs were flashing like crazy about an hour after installation then the wipers went crazy. My mechanic at the volvo center recommended the problem eliminator kit for the HIDs from HIDLOOK.com They help regulate the voltage to your ballast so your ECU doesnt freak out. getting the wiper motor replaced on tuesday.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM

How long have you had your HIDs on with the elimator kit? I would love to have the HID look again. But after all the bad experience I had with my wiper motor. I don't think I would ever put them back in unless I had a guaranteed answer for fixing the problem.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 AM

I have had the eliminator kit on about 1 week now and replaced the wiper motor. Everything is working fine so far.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Every time I would replace my wiper motor. The new motor would last about a month before it went crazy. I will just wait and see if you experience any problems in the future and really see if the eliminator kit works. How did you install your hid kit or did you get it done at a shop? I'll wait for a couple of months or so and if you have no problems then I'll be sure to get the eliminator kit. LoL

Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kbjunglist
I have had the eliminator kit on about 1 week now and replaced the wiper motor. Everything is working fine so far.
Did you get the relay harness or the resistor/capacitor harness? I have the capacitor harness and experienced the same problem with the wipers the same day I installed the HIDs.

Last edited by lando_pr; 03-14-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

I got the capacitor harness on at the moment. It was actually recommended by a mechanic at the volvo dealership. I'm just hoping that they stay stable. The mechanic also told me if it happens again to just go ahead and buy the volvo OEM HID kit and just change the temp for the bulb.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by kbjunglist
I got the capacitor harness on at the moment. It was actually recommended by a mechanic at the volvo dealership. I'm just hoping that they stay stable. The mechanic also told me if it happens again to just go ahead and buy the volvo OEM HID kit and just change the temp for the bulb.
Volvo OEM HID kit? Sounds expensive. That's too bad. I was loving my HIDs and now this. It's weird, though, 'cause I have the capacitor harness installed. Any feedback on this?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Just to make sure. All of you with the wipers problem had HIDs installed when it happened??

Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Thumbs up Hids!!!!

Now I got it! I had aftermarket HIDS on my car too! Sound strange I had them more than one year before first wiper's motor blow-up...
Now I'm going to remove HIDS but... any idea where to purchase a cheap wiper motor? Thanks everybody for your help!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Lando , yeah all of us with HIDS experienced wiper problems with the new s40s. Giorgiolari, the first 2 times I changed my wiper motor. I bought it at www.myswedishparts.com. That site was the cheapest I found for a new OEM wiper motor. The 3rd time I got lucky and found a used one for $50.00 from a smashed car at a junk yard.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by chinohayze
Lando , yeah all of us with HIDS experienced wiper problems with the new s40s. Giorgiolari, the first 2 times I changed my wiper motor. I bought it at www.myswedishparts.com. That site was the cheapest I found for a new OEM wiper motor. The 3rd time I got lucky and found a used one for $50.00 from a smashed car at a junk yard.
Myswedishparts.com definitely has good prices. I needn't worry since my car is still under warranty. I'll just put everything back to stock and take the car to the dealer for the replacement of the wiper motor. The only thing I have to buy is the rear covers of the headlamps because I drilled a hole in them for the HID installation. I wish there was a way to keep the HIDs but if I'm going to keep blowing wiper motors then I'll stick with halogens.

Quick Reply: Crazy Wipers!