Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Different Fuse Layout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Fuse Layout?

Ran into a weird problem the other night regarding the layout of fuses under the passenger glovebox.

I have a 2005 Volvo S40, LHD as I'm in Ireland. I ordered a kit of LED replacement interior bulbs a few weeks back, and they arrived so I installed them. The vanity lights beside the mirrors on the sun visors weren't the right size, so I "customized" them in. As I was snapping the plastic back on, they went out, along with the map light and the rear reading light.

No problem. I crack open the owners manual, look up the fuse diagram, and the only thing I find is something along the lines of "Interior Lighting". I believe it was something like F86. So I pull the fuse, and it's fine. Oh crap, what have I done to this car that they aren't working?

The next day I'm playing online, trying to figure out what the problem could be. I realize I have a digital version of the wiring diagram as well as a digital owners manual, so I pull it up. These are pointing to F47 as the interior lighting fuse. On closer inspection I realize the fuse diagram is entirely different than the one in the owners manual in the glovebox.

When I get home I pull F47 and sure enough, it's blown. I check the hard copy of the owners manual I have and it says F47 is for power mirrors and sunroof (which I don't have).

So what I'm trying to understand is:
- Why are my digital and hard copy fuse diagrams different?
- How is it that the hard copy in my car is the one that's inaccurate?

My only thought is that they are different for North American / European cars, and my car somehow has a different fuse panel in it than when it was made.

Anyone have ideas?

Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No ideas. I had the same lighting issue with the same blown fuse though. No clue why Volvo has it wired this way.