Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 unable to access boot / trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy S40 unable to access boot / trunk!

Hi guys, Help needed again!

My father has an S40 '04 model new shape and has just come across the problem of not being able to access the boot / trunk. Does anyone know if there is an emergency access lever or procedure that can be followed to gain access? We've done the obvious and pulled the rear seats down but can't get behind any panels etc. to open from the inside. People have told him that the touch pad release button has a fault, anyone else had this issue? HELP!!!!

Thanks
Finchy

Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 PM

I have a 2004 (earlier body style) and on the inside of my trunk lid there is an emergency release. You should be able to access it by crawling through the back seat. It's a yellow handle with a cartoon man running away from the car.

I had a heckuva time figuring out how to work the trunk on my car. First of all, you can prevent it from being opened by turning the key in the lock on the trunk itself (as opposed to pushing any buttons). The trunk will not open again until the key is turned back. Secondly, if the car itself is locked you will not be able to open the trunk without pressing the trunk button on the remote...then you should be able to press the button where the key goes and open it. Remember though, I'm speaking from the perspective of the old body style, but I can't imagine it's all that different.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM

That's what we thought! Been in the boot/ trunk via the back seats and ther's no emergency release for the boot, no key hole available like on the s60. Many people think that this is indeed an oversite by Volvo. Our next plan of attack is to try and undo the fixing bolts to the actual latch itself all this from the inside!!!!? Hopefully gaining access to change the electronic unit itself. Thanks for the input, will keep you all posted.

Finchy

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Default trunk

I own a 2005 s-40, my problem is that the trunk latch work fine but the dash warning light ` trunk open`is always on ?......but in regard to your prblem, the hard part is to remove the trim panel from inside!!!! , after the latch assy is mounted only by 3 bolts , ......unplug the wire connector ......and techn. the trunk wil open & the latch assy will stay lock to the car body.......Now with the trunk open, unscrew 2 phillip screw to spit the electronic unit from the mech. part of the latch......push by hand the mech. lever side way.........& the latch will release from the car sil. !!........i`m sorry for the phrassing & speling ..i`m french....but like i sais, the hard part is removing he trim......i do not also have a mech release handle...some model do !