Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fault codes question for 2000 S40 1.9T

Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault codes question for 2000 S40 1.9T

I was told last year from a volvo repair shop (not the dealer) that my check engine light was on due to the sensor code for my cam and that I needed to flush my engine. So, I did this and for a year and half now everything seemed to be fine. Now, the check engine light is on again and I took it to the dealer. They said that "there was a ECM 60 reset valve camshaft faulty signal." Then recommended that the engine oil needs to be purged. Keep in mind, I did this a year and half ago. They said "there was an ECM A1 ECT faulty and need a T Stat performed a ECM software upgrade, may need a cam gear and a ECT sensor and new thermostat." This is all for my check engine light. It is also time for the 60k check up. Do you recommend the flush again or the 60k check up? I have no idea what all this means, I just want the lights to go off and stay off this time. Do these problems sound familiar to anyone and if so, does anyone have suggestions for alternate and less expensive solutions? Thanks-

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fault codes question for 2000 S40 1.9T

According to Volvo's procedures, the following is true about an ECM 60 Code:

Condition
The engine control module (ECM) checks the camshaft position in relation to the crankshaft using the camshaft position (CMP) and engine speed (RPM) sensors. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM–60 is stored if the control module detects that the obtained position differs from the requested position.

Possible source
-Low oil pressure in the engine
-Blocked oil ducts for the camshaft reset valve
-Defective camshaft reset valve.

Their first step should be to check oil pressure & replace the oil pressure sensor. If that is fine, they will suggest replacing the camshaft reset valve:

Checking oil ducts
-Remove the camshaft reset valve
-Check the oil ducts for the camshaft reset valve and camshaft pulley in the cylinder head for blockages.
Note! If it is suspected that there are any contaminants in the camshaft reset valve it should be replaced.
-Remedy as necessary
-Try a new camshaft reset valve, if no fault is found in the oil ducts.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fault codes question for 2000 S40 1.9T

I've seen numerous of them due to a defective exhaust CVVT unit once and for all it should fix it.. (CVVT unit = exhaust cam gear) a cvvt solenoid or (cam shaft reset valve) is not cheap either. either way keep your oil clean and do oil change very often. I've tried just running a test with VIDA and it will passed on the test for CVVT quick test but once driven the code will come back. hope that helps