Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Different than what I see here

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator - Different than what I see here

Hello Everyone:

Just bought an '03 S40 for my son. Having the typical "car has trouble on cold start, but runs fine after that" issue. After searching this forum I believe it's the fuel pressure regulator. However, I have two questions:

1) When I pull the vacuum hose no gas came out. Does that mean it's definitely not the FPR, or not all FPR's leak gas when they're bad?

2) The FPR on my car does not have the one mounting screw, rather the FPR and Fuel Rail are one piece (see pics). I've tried a few parts stores and they can only find the FPR by itself (with the mounting hole) and not the setup I have. Any suggestions as to why my car is different and where to find this part?

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Different than what I see here-volvo1.jpg

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Different than what I see here-volvo2.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM

OK - I think I may have figured it out. I was assuming the the FPR was one piece, however, it looks like the actual FPR is located inside the black housing that's attached to the fuel rail. I believe I can take the actual FPR out from with the housing?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine did not appear to leak when it went bad. I did not take it apart to find out exactly what was wrong though. You may be right about your FPR. Yours looks different than my 2001. And when I searched IPD they showed what appears to be the center aluminum colored part of the black plastic housing. It's still $131 which is amazingly expensive for such a simple part. Can you remove the large clip and pull the center section out of the FPR?

Product Search: FUEL PRESSURE REGULATORS

Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Hello Everyone - still having the same issue with the car cold starting.

I took it to a Volvo dealer, they ran codes and said it was a Map Sensor so they replaced it. The car started fine for about 5 days then same problem.

Took it back and they said it was not throwing any codes but they did clean some type of blower/motor. Also said the battery was going bad (although it seems to have plenty of cranking power). The car was starting fine for a few weeks and now it's back to where we started - hard to start when cold.

I was originally going to replace the FPR myself, however, when I disconnected the vacuum hose there was no gas leaking so I assumed it was good. Which is why I took it in.

Now I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and replacing the FPR. Have you guys seen them go bad even though they don't appear to be leaking gas?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM

I have the same car as you, 2003 S40, and also the same type of one peice housing/fuel rail. Just pull the metal clip out and the FPR can be pulled out.

I did not notice any gas when I pulled the vacuum line off, but I know it was sucking gas through it. It might depend on how long the car has sat as to whether you see gas there or not.

I posted some pics of my FPR on a different site: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...314061#p314061

The FPR's are pretty simple. The vacuum line sucks down on a little valve that has a diaphram around it. The only way I can see it failing is by that diaphram leaking. And if its leaking, then some amount of gas is being sucked through the vacuum line. But On mine the leak was minor, but enough to cause the hard starting issue.

However I did find a puddle of gas in the intake manifold right under the throttle plate. To see this you have to remove the large black hose the connects to your manifold.

The only other way I know to test the FPR is to get a pressure guage and connect it to the schreader valve on the left side of the fuel rail. Turn the key on so the fuel pump gets the line up to pressure and then turn it back off. It should stay pressurized for a while if the diaphram in the FPR is good.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Great pictures. I bookmarked that website for future reference.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavymetal
Now I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and replacing the FPR. Have you guys seen them go bad even though they don't appear to be leaking gas?
Short answer, yes. Only a very, very small leak in the FPR diaphragm will allow the fuel pressure in the fuel rail to leak down to the point where you get the hard start.

A word on FPRs. The FPR capsule is manufactured to more or less standard dimensions by the few companies that make them. The "Volvo" FPR is just a sourced Weber FPR, part number DPR04. BUT...Volvo manages to control the distribution of this five dollar part so a Weber DPR04 is pretty much not available in the aftermarket.

The Weber DPR04 has an operating pressure of 309 KPa (KiloPascals). There are other FPRs more easily available that have an operating pressure of 300 KPa. The question is, is the slightly higher operating pressure of the "Volvo" FPR really necessary? If not, you could
buy one of these for $35.00 buy one of these for $35.00
, slap it in and be on your way. I have meant to try this but so far did not get around to it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by migbro
Short answer, yes. Only a very, very small leak in the FPR diaphragm will allow the fuel pressure in the fuel rail to leak down to the point where you get the hard start.

A word on FPRs. The FPR capsule is manufactured to more or less standard dimensions by the few companies that make them. The "Volvo" FPR is just a sourced Weber FPR, part number DPR04. BUT...Volvo manages to control the distribution of this five dollar part so a Weber DPR04 is pretty much not available in the aftermarket.

The Weber DPR04 has an operating pressure of 309 KPa (KiloPascals). There are other FPRs more easily available that have an operating pressure of 300 KPa. The question is, is the slightly higher operating pressure of the "Volvo" FPR really necessary? If not, you could buy one of these for $35.00, slap it in and be on your way. I have meant to try this but so far did not get around to it.
Volvo's FPR is one of the biggest rippoffs around. I spent many hours searching for that Weber DPR04 to no avail. I hung my head in defeat and paid the dealer their $140.

I did see other FPR's, maybe that Bosch you lined to I can't remember, but chickened out. I was worried that the 2 orings might not be the same diameter as the Volvo one, I didnt want any leaks. How can you tell if they are the same size?

Old 03-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Livens
Volvo's FPR is one of the biggest rippoffs around. I spent many hours searching for that Weber DPR04 to no avail. I hung my head in defeat and paid the dealer their $140.

I did see other FPR's, maybe that Bosch you lined to I can't remember, but chickened out. I was worried that the 2 orings might not be the same diameter as the Volvo one, I didnt want any leaks. How can you tell if they are the same size?
Measure them.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Alright - back to square one

Replaced the MAP sensor and the Fuel pressure Regulator and still having cold start problems. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM

I would check the coolant temp sensor input. The ECM feeds extra fuel to the engine during warmup. If the coolant temp sensor is giving false information the engine may not be getting enough fuel until the car goes closed loop.

Does the car start normally once it's warm? Is there a fuel smell to the exhaust?

Does anyone know what is reported to the ECM when the coolant temp sensor fails? On my older GM cars a failed CTS reports -44*C so everything is rich at start up. I have never checked DiCE with the CTS disconnected.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Heavymetal
Alright - back to square one

Replaced the MAP sensor and the Fuel pressure Regulator and still having cold start problems. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

my 1999 Volvo s40 has a rear fuel pressure regulator (rated to 450 kPa) located near the fuel tank and fuel filter and this was causing the same issue you're experiencing. More noticeable when there is less than 30L of fuel in the tank.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:15 AM

As I recall there are 2x MAP sensors: One in the intercooler that measures the manifold pressure. The other is mounted to the outside of the intake manifold - beneath the fuel rail. It measures ambient air pressure. The computer compares the readings between the two to get the "absolute" pressure. They are exactly the same part (made by Bosch I think). Do you know which one was replaced? If so, you can replace the other one. They are both pretty easy to get to. They are less than $50 I think.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 AM

Hi there Rob Here, I have a 2006 S40 T4 Automatic. I've been reading your messages and have to say that I have the same problem. Car takes about 5 - 10 seconds of cranking before starting cold and on occasions a heavy fuel smell. I am a mechanic by trade but now retired. Due to financial constraints can't go running off to the dealer. I feel that it is losing fuel line pressure when standing. Did I understand that one can o haul that FPR by removing that big clip. In SA it will cost a fortune at the dealer. Please give some advise. Contact me on email robtbone@gmail.com thanks a mill. Cheers

Old 10-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Oliver
Hi there Rob Here, I have a 2006 S40 T4 Automatic. I've been reading your messages and have to say that I have the same problem. Car takes about 5 - 10 seconds of cranking before starting cold and on occasions a heavy fuel smell. I am a mechanic by trade but now retired. Due to financial constraints can't go running off to the dealer. I feel that it is losing fuel line pressure when standing. Did I understand that one can o haul that FPR by removing that big clip. In SA it will cost a fortune at the dealer. Please give some advise. Contact me on email robtbone@gmail.com thanks a mill. Cheers
Yes you can just replace the FPR by removing it from the housing. The Volvo part number is 9404583. You have a few options;

1) buy the original part from your local Volvo dealer. But it will cost you a premium.

2) buy the original part from an online Volvo part shop. Tascaparts is the cheapest I've found

3) buy eBay item 301020354292. Magneti Marelli (weber) is the OE manufacturer for this part. This is 300 kPa instead of 309 kPa but don't worry it won't make a difference.

4) visit https://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/eurospec-sport-fuel-pressure-regulator.html and buy the 3.0 bar angled FPR. This is a direct drop in high quality replacement part. Again this will be a 300 kPa instead of 309 kPa though won't make a difference.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:23 AM

Hi Guys, Rob here. I have the same problem with the FPR on my Volvo S40 T4 2000 auto. I did a pressure check and it sure is leaking through the vacuum pipe and not holding pressure. I made some calls and the advise I got was to fit an adjustable FPR obtainable from MR Turbo a company close to where I live in SA (part no FPR06) at R500.00 compaired to R3500.00, one sixth of the price of the original part. One needs to take out the diaphram of the original FPR by removing the big clip and blanking off the vacuum pipe on the original FPR, extend the fuel pipes and vacuum hose and fit the new one in a convenient place and adjust to the desired pressure. I hope this info helps you guys. Cheers Rob.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:50 AM

All summer long the car started fine. Now that it's getting cold again, I'm having the same problem - car starts right away but will die if I don't constantly give it gas. What I have to do is keep my right foot on the gas to keep the RPM's up and put my left foot on the break. Then put the car in gear and as soon as I back out of the driveway (giving it enough gas to not stall, and enough break to not launch out of the garage) and put it in D, it runs fine. Warm starts do not have this problem.

I'll check the engine coolant temp sensor and see if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like acura said do you know which map they replaced? Hudini has a good point / question about the temp sensor. That's a pretty easy replace also.

FWIW I had to replace my FPR at 141k, map sensor under the shield at 145 (there are 2).

Old 02-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by syked
yes you can just replace the fpr by removing it from the housing. The volvo part number is 9404583. You have a few options;

1) buy the original part from your local volvo dealer. But it will cost you a premium.

2) buy the original part from an online volvo part shop. Tascaparts is the cheapest i've found

3) buy ebay item 301020354292. Magneti marelli (weber) is the oe manufacturer for this part. This is 300 kpa instead of 309 kpa but don't worry it won't make a difference.

4) visit https://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/e...regulator.html and buy the 3.0 bar angled fpr. This is a direct drop in high quality replacement part. Again this will be a 300 kpa instead of 309 kpa though won't make a difference.
how would you mount #3 or #4 if it has to bolt on ?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Raab
how would you mount #3 or #4 if it has to bolt on ?
#3 - Doesn't have the bolt on the top. This part is pretty much OE part for the car.

#4 - They changed the item in the link. The item in the link an adjustable FPR which is pretty useless in the Volvo.

The correct part should be like the one below. However, that's 4.0 bar and I can't seem to find anyone that has the 3.0 bar version any more so that's no longer an option.

Eurospec 4.0 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator - Different than what I see here