Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

geartronic not working on s40 2005?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default geartronic not working on s40 2005?!

Hi guys I have a question, few days a go the cover under the gear **** got messed up and I had to pull it out to be able to change gear (s40 automatic 2004.5). I bought the cover to replace but I think it is hassle so I didn’t butter, today I tried the geartronic(the +/- or what some people call it tiptronic gear shifting and didn’t work, Is is because of the cover that I pulled out? Thanks

Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM

I have the same problem and I am missing that same cover. What was your solution to this problem?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM

ooh its don't bother its not a big problem,why don't you go to the service station if you are not able to fix it.Don't make a delay in it,as later it would create a problem.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 AM

hi , im stressed by the same mistake about this problem in my car , do you now whats the really fails of this probles ,tanks!!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 PM

well after some time my shifter blind started falling apart and eventually I wasn't able to use the geartronic function. Here is a how to on how to replace the shifter blind.

Tools and parts: torx set, flat head screwdriver, and a new shifter blind (pn:8699465)
Time: 30 to 45 minutes

first remove shifter **** by turning the twist lock at the bottom then pulling upwards till it pops out

next remove the cigarette lighter trim to access the torx screws

next remove the trim around the lcd screen of the radio and gently pull the screen out to access the torx screws

next remove the center console and put it aside

remove the top piece of the geartronic shift indicator (there are 4 clips to remove this piece I used a flat head screw driver to gently pry them off

remove the circuit board and move it over so that no unnecessary damage happens to it and then remove the next layer of the geartonic shifter (this piece is a little difficult to remove there are 2 clips on the right side after those are loose gently pull and and wiggle it off)

once you have that piece off place the new shifter blind on and make sure the ridges face down (not like the picture lol my mistake) and that the magnet is on the left side

then put everything back together and enjoy a fully functioning geartronic again

Old 10-14-2022, 10:32 AM

thank you so much for taking the time. I have done everything in detail replacing the blind. It lights up and shows park drive reverse and neutral when I put it in the gear Tronic mode it does not light up it does not show on the dashboard it does not work. What am I doing wrong. It was working perfectly the day the blind disintegrated into a dozen pieces. There was absolutely no damage Do any of the housing. I am stumped please advise thank you

Old 10-14-2022, 12:59 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

A couple possibilities...

1) You put the blind in the wrong way (easy enough to do). Make sure that the little magnets are over the little sensors that they talk to.
2) When the blind came apart, one of the magnets contacted and damaged something on the gearshift PC board. Hope not.