Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Help! Electrical problems 04 S40 T5

Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Electrical problems 04 S40 T5

Hey everyone,
I have a 2004 S40 T5. I have some wierd electric issues going on. Here's what it's doing. A couple days ago, while driving the red triage came on and do did the battery light. They both went off a few minutes later. Before my wife got home both lights came on and off shortly at intermittent times. The next day she starts to drive, no lights at first, then just the triangle cones on. Before she could get pulled over she said she lost the radio display and power steering. She got pulled over and shut it off. It was not in a good spot road wise so someone stopped to help her and she tried to start. It did start, she started to drive it to a near by parking lot and just as she pulled in all electrical went out and the car died. That night she called a tow truck. As they were trying to get it on the truck, she started it up and it seemed to run okay but when she gave it gas it didn't Rev up. She shut it off but now the key is stuck and won't release out. About two weeks ago, I was driving and the stereo went out. I still had all other functions in the display. Two days later while driving the stereo just started working again. Any ideas? I replaced the battery in April of this year. Car has 140,000 miles, I have no idea if the alternator has been replaced but that is my first thought.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T5pilot
Hey everyone,
I have a 2004 S40 T5. I have some wierd electric issues going on. Here's what it's doing. A couple days ago, while driving the red triage came on and do did the battery light. They both went off a few minutes later. Before my wife got home both lights came on and off shortly at intermittent times. The next day she starts to drive, no lights at first, then just the triangle cones on. Before she could get pulled over she said she lost the radio display and power steering. She got pulled over and shut it off. It was not in a good spot road wise so someone stopped to help her and she tried to start. It did start, she started to drive it to a near by parking lot and just as she pulled in all electrical went out and the car died. That night she called a tow truck. As they were trying to get it on the truck, she started it up and it seemed to run okay but when she gave it gas it didn't Rev up. She shut it off but now the key is stuck and won't release out. About two weeks ago, I was driving and the stereo went out. I still had all other functions in the display. Two days later while driving the stereo just started working again. Any ideas? I replaced the battery in April of this year. Car has 140,000 miles, I have no idea if the alternator has been replaced but that is my first thought.
Yes - alternators are very common on these cars - I believe this is your issue
we have Genuine Factory Volvo units available for $522.09 and can overnight it for $15.00 if need be

Tim