Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Help! I screwed up my cam timing 2000 s40 1.9

So I was trying to change the vvt gear on my 2000 s40 and I never knew the gear has no key in the camshaft so it can be mounted in any position. I am now unsure of where the position the cam needs to be since it has spun. I took the cam sensor cover off and I seethe ring which the sensor reads off of. Is there any way to use that as a reference point to make another timing mark? Im so used to honda and toyotas ive never seen a car with no key to seat the gear. The intake gear was removed as well unfortuantely but that has only 3 possibilities of of going on.i tried doung a search but all I find are pictures of the gear marks which will not help as the gears have already been removed.some cars I notice have a slot on the back of the cam which you can just level with the vale cover but I have no such slot on mine.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM
2000 Volvo S70

haha I have done that before. If you know which way the cam spun you can get close. Best way is to turn the cam back to where you think TDC is slap the gear and go play the lottery.

turn the engine over by hand don't feel it clunk to a stop, try for starting it. If you are in the ball park it will start and run really poorly. If you are really close, it will run ok but you will have a CEL for the cam timing. If you are really lucky you won't get a code at all.

Took me 3 hours of trial and error. I forgot to set up my cam locking jig.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM
2000 Volvo S70

Because this happens a lot.

Click the image to open in full size.

this is the cam locking jig that should be used.>>

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...le.php?id=9164

remove rear cam plugs

if the cam positioning is correct the slots on the two cams will be parallel to each other --...--

images and links found through a simple Google search.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM

I appreciate the help I was wondering do you have a pic before the cam lock tool was installed so I can see the pulse ring location undrr the cam sensor cover?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
2000 Volvo S70

you look at the machining grove on the cam, not he pulse ring.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM

bigdawg Orange

The reluctor (pulse ring) has 4 evenly spaced points so you can't tell from looking at it the correct position. You can get it fairly close by aligning the machined groove under the reluctor with the parting line between the cam holder and head.
I used a wooden paint stick cut down to fit the space. The tricky part is when you tighten the one bolt to the required torque. The cam will try to move unless you hold it in place (this is the 2nd job of the cam alignment tool). You can compensate by aligning the CVVT slightly before the cut on the plastic cam cover and tightening so that the CVVT and cam aligns as you hit the torque number (80 lb/ft IIRC). I used a 3rd option and made a cam holder tool out of scrap steel.
2005 S40 T5 AWD

You can have it done QUICKLY, done INEXPENSIVELY, done CORRECTLY. Pick any two.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM

the intake cam rear were the sensor ring bolts on has extra key way for aligning the picup ring. should that groove be to the bottom faceing the sensor at top dead #1 and cam lobes for #1 intake and exhaust be just after open or streight up ?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 AM

bigdawg Orange

The 2000-2004 1.9L engine as written above has a reluctor wheel on the exhaust cam. Are you writing about the 2004+ 2.4L or 2.5L turbo engines? On the 1.9L engine the groove in the cam is not centered meaning the reluctor only goes one way to maintain alignment. Otherwise I'm confused as to what you are referring to. Pictures?
2005 S40 T5 AWD

Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM

can this procedure be used on a VVT installed on an intake cam? I noticed that this procedure shows the exhaust cam with a VVT installed.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM

bigdawg Orange

Yes, with the cam tool installed. You are talking the newer 2.4L and 2.5L engines?
2005 S40 T5 AWD

Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Tags
19, 2001, 40, cam, gear, holder, position, remove, replace, s40, sensor, special, timing, valve, volvo, vvt