Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Default high pitched squealing noise coming from belts ?

My S40 started squealing near the alternator area, it hesitates when you take of from a stop and sometimes goes quiet for the first 5 minutes of driving. The belts look tight was told a pulley may need grease? Should I replace the belts ? A mechanic told me you have to remove the front quarter panel to do that wow!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 AM

Default one or

one or two things,

1.the belt maybe loose
2. your water pump is going, there's a little hole on the water pump. That starts to leak just before it going. It let water out and it gets on the belts. And squeals until it's dirt.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Okay I know this might sound odd but my 2003 S40 was doing the same thing at startup and it turned out to be a missing nut on the exhaust manifold. Now that is a bit out there I know but it takes about five minutes to check all of those nuts on the exhaust manifold by removing the heat shield on the back of the engine. It's worth the trouble and it solved two problems on my car: squealing at startup and noise from the manifold. Next thing to note you can replace the one serpentine belt with a new one. You will need a Torx bit and a breaker bar but no removal of fenders.
'00 XC70 113K miles (Transmission replaced, timing belt, water pump, heater core, fuel pump) time to sell.
'02 Toyota Camry 101k miles. My sons car. I've gone to the other side.
'72 TR6 80K miles (resting in my garage)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM

had this on mine changed the alternator has know shut up it was the bearing that the belt go's on had moved in see if it moves in and out and if there is any silver dust about cuz mine was rubbing on its case
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM

ANy luck on this? i may be having the same sound, doesnt start until about 5-10 min of driving...loud squirling, a very good friend/mechanic said he thinks its the Ac compressor, so i picked up 1, gonna replace it and see what happens, we tried the long screwdriver technique on the alternator and he said he was almost certain it was not coming from their, but damn its very annoying whatever it is...and my belt is fairly new....so deff not that, let me know what the scoop was if u get it fixed
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM

When the same thing happened to my old 440 my local non franchised Volvo shop put talcum powder on the belt and it stopped the noise, of course this would not work with a worn bearing or pulley wheel
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM

No haven't done anything about it yet. Now floor behind driver seat keeps getting wet now . Check Enging light still on so dont drive it much if can help it. The AC is icy cold at times but will go to lukewarm so prob is the compressor.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Default noise! could maybe not the belts

I had the same noise.but not the belts!!.......If the sound goes away when you remove the `OIL Drip SticK`......( Feel feel also a Negatif pressure )..........The problem is that the `diaphram inside the oil filter housing ` is punctured.
requires a Filter Oil housing .

regards
Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 PM

just wanted to let you kow i had my car looked at again for the squeeling, they contacted a volvo mechanic up in the cities and the mechanic told him hes almost 100% certain theirs a valve that for some reason is creating a suction that is not supposed to be their....now this may be no help or some to you but....ill give you the exact details next week when i c the parts ordered but it wasnt cheap...the good news the volvo mechanic said its a very common issue, when they get the parts and the fix done ill be able to give ya the run down...maybe something you can have checked out....l8r
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM

i shoulda read above me.........thats my exact problem as well the exact thing!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Tags
240, 40, belt, car, coming, fan, high, noise, pitched, s40, sqeealing, squeal, squealing, tight, volvo