Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

I blew my head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I blew my head gasket :(

Hello All,
I am Cyde from Sacramento, Ca and Own my second Volvo a 2001 s40 1.9T

I am dealing with Overheating, possible Head warp, Gasket, etc...????

I reviewed previous posts but I did not see my dilema.

Radiator blew so I replaced it with a new one, and now the car starts sometimes as it should but much of the time it cranks and cranks untill it runs the battery low requiring a jump.
When it starts it runs and idles great for about 20 min. then starts getting hot, usually blowing coolant out of the resivoir.
the blowout occurs either way.
I replaced the Thermost, used new coolant, mew plugs.
The compression on all four cylinders is great.
Could thisbe a problem caused by not bleeding the air out completely?
If so how is that accomplished?

Any help you can extend will be gladly appreciated with no liability on you if you are willing to point me in the right direction.

Thanks ~~ Ncalclyde

Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Clyde, welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread to the S40 section. Very few people read the NEW MEMBER area and when you post issues there, they rarely get any responses.

As you suspect, you blew the head gasket and it will need to be repaired.

Not sure if this will help but it should:

Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Talking Thank You!!

Thank You for the help, I will do my utmost to advise how this DIY repair goes and any issues that i enconter and hopefully overcome.

Thank You again!

Originally Posted by rspi
Hi Clyde, welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread to the S40 section. Very few people read the NEW MEMBER area and when you post issues there, they rarely get any responses.

As you suspect, you blew the head gasket and it will need to be repaired.

How to test for a blown head gasket on a Volvo - VOTD - YouTube

Overheating car, how to fix it, understanding the coolant system - Brief verion - VOTD - YouTube

Not sure if this will help but it should:

Motor Cylinder Head Removal, Head Gasket, Burnt Valve, etc. (Volvo 850, S70) - Auto Repair Series - YouTube

Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All as above per rspi but I noticed you did not check or replace the temperature sensor.
another possible reason for overheating after 20 minutes approx running when the overheating starts and it can explain hard starting as it controls the air/fuel mixture auto adjustment settings.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2003 V40 (Turbo) the coolant is bled by opening up the little red plug on the lower radiator hose on the right-hand side of the engine. You simply refill until coolant comes out of the hole, plug the hole, and then fill up until the coolant reservoir is full.

In the attached picture you can see the red cover which is located just to the left of the battery cover and slightly downwards right below the throttle cable. You can inscrew it by hand or with a flat screwdriver. Just be gentle as it is made of plastic.

Attached Thumbnails I blew my head gasket :(-full-view-engine-top.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Talking Oh Is That What That red thing WAS??

Thank You so much for the input.
AND YES, I tried it gently, ( The red valve) and it came off in my cotton pickin hand. But it did not leak thank god. I was going to try and drill and tap it for a new valve but I bet it won't be good.

I will check the sensor, and report back!

Thanks again!!

NCalClyde

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Long cranking times before starting is a symptom of a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Clyde, I just bought my first Volvo and it's a 2000 S40 with a blown head gasket. Now I'm sure you will get some "don'ts" when I post this. I used a product called Thermalgasket and it sealed my head gasket within 8 minutes. I've used this product twice now and both times it sealed the head gasket. I would also look at a product called " Steel Seal" on the net. I haven't tried it yet, but it comes with a guarantee for as long as you own the car. I still have a problem with starting the car, but it seems to be with the fuel system. The cost of Thermalgasket is $130 and the Steel Seal is $90 for a 4 cylinder. A lot better than what the shops want to charge. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the input and willingness to assist.
I have finally begun the dismantle process myself and it's a little late for me to turn back now.
I will post further as I complete this repair.
Thanks again and enjoy your new used car. Many people say that I should have bought another brand But having now owned two this S40 that has 158,000 miles, and giving my 1992 740 to some folks that really needed a car, ( it had 285,000 miles) and hearing that they have had no problems in 3 years with an added 62,000miles I think Volvo's are a great choice.
I do wish they would come off the price of parts, and get the engineers to rethink their cooling system to allow for affordable top and bottom hoses without cheap plastic parts that disintegrate with exposure to heat!
Oh well I still have wrenches to turn and costly parts to buy, but I am going to give this volvo a run for my money!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Can you do a write up for the head gasket? I have an 02 s40 and need to do the head gasket. My radiator blew and I'm replacing that today but I do know the headgasket needs to be done.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 PM

If you are still looking for info that might help here is a link from another member that helped me understand the process of removing the head.
Motor Cylinder Head Removal, Head Gasket, Burnt Valve, etc. (Volvo 850, S70) - Auto Repair Series - YouTube
Great Luck To You ~ Clyde

Originally Posted by ping23
Can you do a write up for the head gasket? I have an 02 s40 and need to do the head gasket. My radiator blew and I'm replacing that today but I do know the headgasket needs to be done.